Naan flatbread covered with creamy kale and goat cheese and topped with fresh tomatoes. This easy main dish or side dish is ready in under 30 minutes.
Hey hey! It’s Monday again. Let’s eat all the cheese to make ourselves feel better, ok? Today I’m sharing Kale and Goat Cheese Flatbread! This recipe came about because I wanted an excuse to eat dip as a meal (tell me I’m not alone?).
Dip = snack or appetizer
Dip spread on flatbread = meal
Last year my husband and I spent a long weekend in Napa Valley. We had several delicious meals and I came home extremely inspired. During one of our meals we had kale and goat cheese dip as an appetizer. It was creamy and flavorful and filled with the subtle tang of goat cheese (← my fave). It was so good that I knew I had to recreate it at home. I realized that if I turned the dip into meal, we could eat it any night of the week. Yessss!
What we have here is a thick and creamy mixture of sauteed kale, garlic, cream cheese, and goat cheese. This mixture gets spread on flatbread (I used naan) then topped with mozzarella cheese and a little more goat cheese. The flatbreads bake for about 10 minutes, until the cheese melts and the crust crisps slightly. After baking I top these with chopped tomatoes for a fresh pop of flavor and color.
This flatbread comes together in under 30 minutes! You can serve it on its own or with soup or salad. Bonus points if you have a glass of wine too.
This meal has made its way into our dinner rotation; even my kids eat it! All that kale makes me feel like I’m (sorta) eating something healthy.
Kale cancels out cheese, right? Please say yes. 😉
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups finely chopped kale, loosely packed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- pinch black pepper
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 4 tablespoons goat cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup grated mozzarella or monterey jack cheese, divided
- 2 pieces naan flatbread (approximately 8in x 6in ovals)
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely minced or finely grated garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add kale, garlic, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons water. Sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the kale has softened. Add cream cheese, 2 tablespoons goat cheese and milk, stirring until the cream cheese and goat cheese have melted and the mixture is creamy. Divide the kale between the two pieces of naan. Top each piece of naan with ¼ cup grated mozzarella and 1 tablespoon goat cheese. Bake for approximately 10 minutes, until the bottom of the naan is slightly crisp and the cheese is completely melted. While baking, combine all ingredients for the tomato topping.
- Cut each piece of naan into pieces and top with tomatoes. Serve immediately.