We drink a lot of smoothies in our house. I have a 3 year old who will only eat berries and greens if I sneak them into smoothies. That being said, he gets a smoothie almost everyday so that I can feel (somewhat) good about his diet. Most smoothies that we make consist of juice, frozen berries, yogurt and occasionally spinach. Although they are delicious, every once in a while we need to switch things up a bit. That’s when I make chocolate peanut butter banana smoothies. They taste so rich and indulgent that it’s like having dessert – guilt free!
For this smoothie I use skim milk, natural peanut butter and unsweetened cocoa powder. It’s thickened with a frozen banana and ice. I try not add too much sugar – only a teaspoon of agave or honey. This smoothie makes a great late night snack too, if you’re itching for something sweet and chocolaty at the end of your day.
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter (I prefer natural)
- Honey or agave to taste (I used 1 teaspoon agave)
- A handful of ice cubes
- Dark chocolate shavings, to garnish (optional)
- Put all ingredients, except chocolate shavings, into a blender and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.