The name of this recipe says it all – these cookies are soft, sweet and perfectly speckled with sprinkles. They’re the perfect no frills cookie for kids and they would be great for a birthday party or as an after school treat. I made these with my toddler son and he had blast. Although, if I’m being completely honest, what he really enjoyed was shoving fistfuls of sprinkles into his mouth while I did most of the work. 😉
Not only are these cookies delicious and easy, they bake in less than 10 minutes. Get moving now and you could have freshly baked sugar cookies in no time!
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract, mixing until combined. Add in flour mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in sprinkles.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball, or use a 1½ tablespoon scoop, and drop dough onto prepared baking sheet leaving about an inch for spreading.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the centers are set. The cookies will look soft and slightly under cooked but they will finish cooking while cooling on the baking sheet.
- Remove from oven and let cookies cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.