Warm and gooey four cheese dip topped with fresh tomatoes and basil. Serve with toasted bread for dipping.
My mom has been visiting for the past week, and it has been fabulous. She lives in California, and we live in Arizona, so my kids and I miss her terribly when she’s away. I wish so much that we lived in the same town, but I feel fortunate that she’s able to visit as often as she does. She has spent this past week playing with my kids, tackling my around the house to-do list, and helping me juggle my kiddos on errands. She is a saint.
Whenever my mom is visiting, I try cook recipes that I know she will like. I figure if I keep her well fed, she’ll want to keep coming back. 😉
When I first had the idea for this dip, I knew my mom would love it. She and I could easily make a meal out of bread and cheese (and wine), so I new this recipe would be a winner. This dip has flavors similar to tomato basil bruschetta and caprese salad; if you like either, you will love this dip.
The cheese part of the dip comes from a mixture of four cheeses. Ricotta cheese and cream cheese make it rich and creamy, and grated mozzarella and parmesan makes it gooey and decadent. The cheeses get combined and baked in the oven, then topped with garlicky tomatoes and basil. The cheese is warm and bubbly, and the tomatoes and basil are fresh and juicy. It’s the perfect combo of flavors and textures. I served this dip with sliced, toasted baguette, and it was absolutely swoon worthy.
Although this is a dip, which might have you thinking “appetizer,” you could serve this alongside a salad for lunch or dinner. It’s definitely hearty enough to make a meal out of.
I’m happy to say that my mom has planned to come back for another visit in just two weeks (hooray!). I guess the dip did its job. 😉
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- One 15-ounce container ricotta cheese
- One 8-ounce bag (2 cups) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- scant ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 8 basil leaves, torn or chopped
- salt/pepper to taste
- Toasted baguette, for dipping (see note)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Thoroughly combine all cheeses and salt. Transfer to a greased oven proof dish (I used a 7-inch cast iron skillet) and place in the oven. Cook for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is light golden brown and bubbling.
- While the cheese is in the oven, prepare the tomatoes. Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Once the cheese comes out of the oven, top with tomatoes, and serve immediately.