Strawberry Buttercream – An easy and beautiful pink frosting filled with fresh strawberries. Perfect on cake, cupcakes, brownies and more!
Oh, hi! It’s just me, bringing you a bowl overflowing with swirly pink frosting. Wouldn’t you love to drag a spoon right through that deliciousness up there? Strawberry Buttercream frosting is what spring and summer dreams are made of. Let’s put it on anything and everything. K?
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
This Strawberry Buttercream became a regular in our dessert rotation once our daughter decided at the ripe age of 2 that she was obsessed with all things PINK! Since she has a summer birthday I have made it a tradition of always serving Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting at her birthday celebrations.
This is the perfect way to make a pretty pink frosting without any food coloring. Yep, you read that right – no food coloring. Real strawberries bring the beautiful pink color to our frosting. And every bite is bursting with the flavor of sweet fresh strawberries.
Update: I recently started using freeze dried strawberries in order to make this frostig when strawberries are not in season. Crush freeze dried strawberries until they form a powder (I use a food processor), then sift out the seeds and add the powder into the frosting. The freeze dried strawberries add a deeper, more intense strawberry flavor, they also make the frosting a bit darker, too. If you can’t get freeze dried strawberries, you can leave them out – just make sure your fresh strawberries and sweet, ripe and juicy.
- Powdered Sugar
- Fresh Strawberry Puree
- Freeze Dried Strawberries (optional, but highly recommended)
- Strawberry Jam
- Vanilla extract
The above ingredients are combined using a hand mixer or stand mixer until smooth, creamy and fluffy. You can easily adjust the consistency by adding more strawberry puree to thin it out or more powdered sugar to thicken it up.
MORE FROSTING RECIPES
Now to the big question… What should we put this Strawberry Buttercream Frosting on?
- 1/2 cup freeze dried strawberries
- 5-8 fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened, (12 tablespoons)
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted if lumpy, plus more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 generous tablespoon strawberry jam
- In a small food processor, blend freeze dried strawberries until they turn into powder. Pour the powder into a fine mesh sieve, discarding the solids and seeds, keeping the fine powder that came through the sieve. Set the powder aside.Add the fresh strawberries to the food processor (no need to clean it out) and process until smooth (you will need 3 tablespoons of strawberry puree).
- With a hand mixer, or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl and the beater as necessary. Add the powdered sugar, 1/2 a cup at a time, beating until combined.
- Add freeze dried strawberry powder, 3 tablespoons strawberry puree, vanilla extract and jam, and beat on medium speed until fully combined, being sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl and beater as needed. If necessary, adjust the consistency by adding more powdered sugar to thicken, or more strawberry puree to thin it out. Place in a piping bag, or use an offset spatula to frost cake or cupcakes.