Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Cinnamon spiced whole wheat muffins filled with apples and topped with an oat-walnut streusel.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup heaping peeled finely chopped apples (about 2 small apples or 1 large)
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter diced into small cubes
For the muffins:
Preheat the oven to 350. Butter 9 muffin cups or fill with 9 muffin liners, set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir both flours, baking powder, cinnamon and salt until combined.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, brown sugar, oil, milk and vanilla extract until combined. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
Fold the chopped apples into the batter.
Divide the batter between 9 prepared muffin cups and set aside while you make the topping.
For the streusel topping:
Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, walnuts and salt. Add in butter and using your fingertips rub the butter into the oat mixture until pea sized crumbs form. Divide the topping between the 9 muffins and lightly press it onto the tops of each muffin.
Place the muffins in the oven for 13-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool for 5 minutes, then remove the muffins from the muffin tin and cool completely on a rack.
Calories: 265kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 129mg | Potassium: 221mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 155IU | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 1.4mg