Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
Tender, lightly spiced Pumpkin Cupcakes topped with maple cream cheese frosting. An updated, easy and elegant fall dessert!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
For the cupcakes:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice or sub cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- salted caramel sauce optional, for decorating
For the frosting:
- 6 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon maple extract optional, for a stronger flavor
- 2 cups powdered sugar (sifted, if lumpy) plus more, if needed
For the cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a muffin pan or fill with 10 paper liners.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pie spice and salt.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, sugars and vegetable oil. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until combined.
Divide the batter evenly between the 10 muffin cups and bake for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes completely before spreading with frosting.
For the frosting;
Beat cream cheese, butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract and maple extract (if using) until combined. Slowly add in powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Frost the cupcakes using a piping bag and decorating tip, or simply spread the frosting with a butter knife. Drizzle with caramel sauce, if desired.
Calories: 344kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 245mg | Potassium: 165mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 4200IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 1.4mg