Light and fluffy Coconut Pancakes topped with coconut syrup!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 2 cups all purpose flour or swap half for white whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut sweetened or unsweetened*
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk* I use coconut milk beverage (in a carton)
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or melted butter or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Coconut Syrup (optional):
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk I use coconut milk beverage (in a carton)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- shredded coconut, macadamia nuts, sliced banana, pineapple, chocolate chips
In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and shredded coconut.
In a separate bowl, whisk the coconut milk, oil, egg, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes or so while you preheat and grease a griddle. Note: if the batter seems too thick or thin you can add a tablespoon or so of flour (to thicken) or coconut milk (to thin). Be careful not to overmix.
Using a 1/3 or 1/2 measuring cup, pour the batter onto a greased griddle set at medium-low heat. Cook on one side until bubbles form evenly, then flip and cook on the other side until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter.
In a small saucepan, whisk all ingredients except vanilla extract. Simmer for 10-12 minutes, until thickened slightly and completely combined. Whisk in vanilla extract. Store in the refrigerator, whisking to thin it out right before serving.
*The sweetness of the pancakes will vary greatly based on whether your coconut milk and shredded coconut is sweetened or unsweetened. Since this is breakfast, I like to keep these a bit more wholesome by using the unsweetened varieties of both, but by all means, use what you have on hand, or what you prefer.
Nutrition facts do not include coconut syrup.
Recipe adapted from Cookie & Kate
Calories: 454kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 105mg | Sodium: 192mg | Potassium: 350mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 155IU | Calcium: 161mg | Iron: 3.8mg