Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
Tender, lightly spiced Pumpkin Cupcakes topped with maple cream cheese frosting. An updated, easy and elegant fall dessert!
For the cupcakes:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice or sub cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- salted caramel sauce optional, for decorating
For the frosting:
- 6 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon maple extract optional, for a stronger flavor
- 2 cups powdered sugar (sifted, if lumpy) plus more, if needed
For the cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a muffin pan or fill with 10 paper liners.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pie spice and salt.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, sugars and vegetable oil. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until combined.
Divide the batter evenly between the 10 muffin cups and bake for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes completely before spreading with frosting.
For the frosting;
Beat cream cheese, butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract and maple extract (if using) until combined. Slowly add in powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Frost the cupcakes using a piping bag and decorating tip, or simply spread the frosting with a butter knife. Drizzle with caramel sauce, if desired.
I like to store these in the fridge to keep the frosting from getting too soft.
Calories: 344kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 245mg | Potassium: 165mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 4200IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 1.4mg