A single-layer cake that is moist, tender and loaded with almond flavor. Serve as-is or top with berries and whipped cream.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 4 ounces almond paste
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract increase to 1/2 teaspoon for a stronger flavor
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Sugared almond topping:
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1-2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Berries and Cream Topping:
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1/3 cup berry jam I like raspberry or strawberry
- 2-3 cups fresh berries larger berries cut into bite-sized pieces
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
Crumble almond paste into food processor bowl. Add granulated sugar and pulse until almond paste is finely ground. Add butter and process until smooth (it will turn into a ball; just keep processing until it smooths out). Add eggs and almond extract and process until combined, occasionally stopping the processor and scraping sides and bottom of bowl. Sprinkle in flour, baking powder, and salt, and process until blended.
Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top. If using the sugared almond topping, top the cake batter with sliced almonds and 1-2 tablespoons sugar (I like to add half the almonds, sprinkle over half the sugar, then repeat with remaining almonds and sugar).
Bake for 23-26 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place the pan on a wire rack, cool 15-20 minutes, then carefully invert and place back on the rack to cool completely. If you are not using the berries and cream topping you can enjoy this cake while still warm, otherwise, cool completely.
Berries and Cream Topping:
Combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Fit the mixer with the whisk attachment and mix on medium speed until smooth.
With the mixer still running, slowly pour in the heavy cream down the side of the bowl. Continue beating, slowly increasing the speed and occasionally stopping and scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl. Increase the speed and continue whipping until the cream can hold a stiff peak.
Place the cake on a plate or serving platter. Spread the top of the cake with jam, spreading it to 1/2-inch from the edge. Top with whipped cream, followed by berries.
- This cake is best at room temperature, as it will be extra soft and tender.
- If topping with whipped cream and berries, I recommend doing so right before serving. If you have to assemble in advance, I would recommend doing so the day you need it. Keep refrigerated and bring to cool room temp before serving.
- Nutrition facts are for cake with sugared almond topping.
Calories: 331kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 109mg | Sodium: 106mg | Potassium: 170mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 470IU | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 1.3mg