Almond Jam Bars
These Almond Bars are filled with rich almond flavor and a fabulous soft and chewy texture. A bit of raspberry jam contrast wonderfully with the almond making this a beautiful and irresistible dessert. With only seven basic ingredients this recipe comes together in minutes!
- ¾ cup unsalted butter softened
- 8 oz almond paste crumbled into pieces
- 1¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature*
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup raspberry jam or preserves melted until pourable but not hot
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- 2 teaspoons coarse sparkling sugar optional, for topping
Preheat oven to 350° with a rack in the center to lower third of the oven. Line a 9x13 pan with foil or parchment and lightly grease it.
Using a hand mixer, beat butter and almond paste until the almond paste is broken down into small pebble-sized pieces. Add the sugar, beat until combined. Add eggs, beat until combined, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl as necessary. Sprinkle in the flour and salt and beat until fully combined, some small pieces of almond paste might be visible, that's ok.
Scoop the dough into the prepared pan and press into an even layer. Moisten your fingertips with water to easily press it into the pan without sticking.
Pour or spoon the jam over the top and spread into an even layer. Top with sliced almonds and sprinkle with sparkling sugar, if using.
Bake for 30-34 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the very center of the pan is still a bit jiggly if you shake it. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
*To bring eggs to room temperature quickly: place the eggs in a bowl of warm water (I use tap water) and allow to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Use a hand mixer rather than a stand mixer for this recipe. I find that the beaters of a hand mixer break down the almond paste better than the paddle attachment on a stand mixer.
- Make sure your almond paste is fresh. It should be fairly soft, not hard and dry.
- Line the pan with foil for easy removal and cleanup.
- Add ½ teaspoon almond extract for a stronger almond flavor. Add the extract to the batter along with the eggs.
- Use your favorite flavor of jam. Raspberry is my favorite to pair with almond, but strawberry, blackberry, or apricot would also be delicious.
- Do not overbake the bars. The edges should be golden brown and the center should still be slightly soft/underdone. The bars will firm up as the cool.
- For a prettier appearance trim off and discard the edges of the bars (bakers treat!) and slice the remaining part into triangles.
Calories: 226kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 34mg | Potassium: 67mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 197IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 1mg