Crock Pot Cheesy Potatoes – Slow cooked creamy potatoes loaded with sour cream, cheddar cheese, and a secret ingredient – cream of mushroom soup! These flavorful potatoes are the perfect make-ahead side dish for brunch, lunch, or dinner.
Today I’m sharing a family favorite recipe. These potatoes have made countless appearances at our family events over the years. The original recipe was handwritten by my grandmother decades ago. It’s so comforting to prepare a recipe that’s been enjoyed for generations. I don’t know where my grandma got it from, but it is a winner! Whenever these potatoes are served they are devoured. Expect an empty slow cooker – they’re that good!
Crock Pot Cheesy Potatoes
This recipe starts with boiling potatoes until they are almost all the way cooked through. Once they cool, we combine them with all the things that make them yummy – melted butter, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and green onions . But then, another ingredient is added – cream of mushroom soup. You might be thinking, whaaaat?! But, trust me, it totally works. It adds flavor and a creaminess that you can’t get without it.
Once everything is mixed up, we refrigerate the potatoes for several hours or overnight. This allows the flavors to blend together, and it allows us to do all the prep for this recipe in advance – woohoo!
A few hours before you’re ready to serve these potatoes, place them in the slow cooker and let them get warm, creamy and cheesy.
These potatoes are a crowd pleaser for sure. Serve them as part of a brunch spread or with meat and vegetables for dinner. They make a great accompaniment to a holiday meal or a regular everyday dinner. Put your slow cooker to work and you’ll be rewarded with the creamiest, tastiest potatoes.
Note: On the topic of cream of mushroom soup, I should mention that there are some great brands of canned cream of mushroom soup (I used Amy’s). I try to choose one that is organic and does not contain hydrogenated oil or MSG.
Creamy Cheesy Slow Cooker Potatoes
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (I've used Yukon Gold or Russet)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 14 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 pint sour cream, 16 ounces
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 heaping cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil uncovered until the potatoes are just barely cooked through and tender. Don't overcook them because they will cook more in the slow cooker. Drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes and remaining ingredients. Stir well. Cover and refrigerate for several hours up to overnight.
Heat and serve:
- Transfer potatoes to a slow cooker and heat on high for about 2 hours. The potatoes should be completely warmed through and the surrounding mixture will have thickened. Immediately reduce the slow cooker to low or keep warm. The longer the potatoes sit, the thicker they will get. If you have them in the slow cooker for more than 2 hours you might want to thin them with a splash of milk. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if desired.