Tender spiced Gingerbread Cake topped with a brown sugar pecan streusel and maple icing. The perfect coffee cake for breakfast or dessert. Holiday flavors in every bite!
Is it just me or does it feel like a Maple Gingerbread Cake type of day?
This cake practically begs to be eaten next to a crackling fire with your hands wrapped around a mug of hot coffee. Holiday comfort food in its finest form.
Coffee cakes are the perfect holiday treat because they are so versatile. They can be served for breakfast or brunch, they make a great dessert, and you can set them on your kitchen counter for nibbling all throughout the day (like this Cranberry Cake).
This is a moist and tender gingerbread cake filled with molasses, brown sugar, maple syrup, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. The crown jewel of this cake is a buttery brown sugar pecan crumble (swoon), and a generous drizzle of maple icing.
Prefer a different flavor? Try our Lemon Coffee Cake.
Maple Gingerbread Coffee Cake
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup unsulphured molasses
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅔ cup hot water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅓ cup finely chopped pecans
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon maple extract, optional
- Milk, half and half or cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 9×9 square baking pan.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until well combined, about one minute. Add egg, molasses and syrup beat until combined (the mixture might look curdled, that’s OK).
- Add the dry ingredients and beat until combined. Slowly add the hot water and beat until smooth. Transfer the batter into the prepared pan.
- Combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, ginger, and pecans. Add melted butter and stir until combined. Sprinkle over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake cake for 30-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center, comes out clean. A glass pan will likely cook faster than a metal pan.
- Once you remove the cake from the oven, prepare the glaze. Combine the powdered sugar, maple syrup and extract (if using). Stir with a fork or whisk until combined. Stir in a little milk or cream, until you reach drizzling consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the warm cake.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.