Sugar Cookie Fruit Tarts – Mini fruit tarts made with sugar cookies topped with cream cheese frosting and fresh fruit. Use your favorite fruit for this easy dessert. VIDEO below.
I’m bringing you summer in cookie form! If each season had a designated cookie these Sugar Cookie Fruit Tarts would be the cookie of summer. I mean, look at all that gorgeous fresh fruit! Plus, these beauties are rocking the patriotic colors of red, white and blue, which makes them perfect for Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, or (let’s be real) just about any summer occasion.
Prefer a large tart? Try my Berry Tart.
Sugar Cookie Fruit Tart
- Homemade Sugar Cookies
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Fresh fruit
I used a combination of berries and cherries for this recipe, but you can use any fresh fruit you like. These would be extra pretty with a mixture of colors (maybe berries, kiwi, and mandarins oranges)?
If you’re looking for a shortcut you can absolutely swap out the homemade sugar cookies for store bought sugar cookie dough. Just make sure the cookies are large enough to hold the fruit; mine were a little over 3 inches across.
Also, if you are far more patient and talented than I, you could probably use the fruit to make a fun design (flags! stars!) that would make these even more festive for the 4th of July. I’ve seen people cut out strawberries into the shape of a star which would be so pretty on these. If you try it shoot me a photo. I’d love to see how creative you get.
Get ready to fall in love with these tasty Sugar Cookie Fruit Tarts. Make them now, make them often, just make them. Summer won’t last forever.
You might also like: Flag Cake – Easy Sugar Cookies – Sprinkle Sugar Cookies – Sugar Cookie Bars – Cheesecake Cookies – Sugar Cookies with Strawberry Frosting
Sugar Cookie Fruit Tarts
- ½ cup unsalted butter, slightly softened but still firm
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 ⅓ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar, for flattening
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted, if lumpy
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 -3 teaspoons half and half or cream
- 2-3 cups fresh fruit, larger fruit, chopped (I used berries and cherries)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar for a couple minutes, until light and creamy. Add extracts and egg, and beat until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until combined.
- Place ½ cup sugar in a shallow bowl or plate. Scoop dough by the heaping tablespoon (I used a 1 ½ tablespoon scoop), and place on the prepared baking sheets, spacing the dough balls about two inches apart. Sprinkle the top of each dough ball with a little bit of the reserved sugar, then use the bottom of a drinking glass to flatten each cookie. Dip the bottom of the glass into sugar as needed to help keep it from sticking to the cookie dough.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. The center might still be a tiny bit underdone, the edges should be set. If using portions of dough that are more or less than 1 ½ tablespoons, adjust baking time accordingly. Place the baking sheet on a rack to cool completely.
Frosting and assembly:
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar and extracts and beat until well combined. Add half and half or cream 1 teaspoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency,
- Spread frosting onto the top of each cookie then top with fruit. These cookies are best served immediately or within a couple hours of being prepared.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.
Summer Dessert Recipes:
Berry Trifle, Blueberry Pie, Stuffed Peaches, Raspberry White Chocolate Trifle, Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie.
Leave a Reply