Healthier Raspberry Peach Breakfast Crisp
This healthier fruit crisp is filled with raspberries and peaches and topped with a gluten free almond-oat crumble. Serve warm or chilled for breakfast or dessert.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
- 1 cups ½ sliced raw almonds divided
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats divided (gluten free, if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar or light brown sugar
- teaspoon ¼ salt
- Finely grated zest of half an orange optional
- 5 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 10 oz bag frozen raspberries
- 10 oz bag frozen sliced peaches cut any really large pieces in half
- cup ¼ coconut sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons ½ cornstarch
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter or spray the inside of a 2 quart baking dish (I used a deep dish pie plate). Set aside.
For the topping:
Put 1 cup of almonds and ½ cup oats in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse several times, until the almonds and oats turn into a medium-fine meal. Add the remaining oats, baking powder, sugar, salt, and orange zest. Pulse a few more times. Add in butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the milk and pulse several more times until combined. Dump the topping into a bowl and stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of almonds. Refrigerate the topping while you prepare the filling.
For the filling:
Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
Pile the topping over the berries in an even layer. I like to pinch some of the topping between my thumb and forefinger to help create clumps in the topping.
Place the fruit crisp in the oven and cook for about 30-35 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling around the edges. Check periodically and loosely tent with foil if the topping is getting too dark. Cool for about 20 minutes and serve warm.
This crisp is not overly sweet. If you prefer it sweeter, you can serve it drizzled with maple syrup or honey.