Cranberry Orange Walnut French Toast Casserole
Fluffy French Toast Casserole flavored with dried cranberries, orange zest, brown sugar, and vanilla. Assemble in advance and you have an easy and delicious breakfast that everyone will love!
- 14-15 oz loaf French bread (preferably a day or two old) cut into cubes
- 2/3 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup whole or 2% milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons orange juice
- a few grates of finely grated orange zest
Grease a 2 1/2 or 3 quart casserole dish. Layer half of the bread cubes and half of the dried cranberries, then add the remaining bread and the remaining cranberries.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, half and half, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and orange zest. Pour the egg mixture over the bread. Gently stir the bread around so that all pieces are coated in the egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or up to overnight.
Combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and walnuts. Add softened butter and stir until well-combined and crumbly (use your hands, if necessary). Cover the topping and place in the refrigerator until you're ready to bake the french toast.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Scatter the topping over the top of the french toast. Bake, uncovered, for 35-50 minutes, until puffed and cooked through in the center. The bake time will vary based on the depth of your casserole dish.
Calories: 475kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 178mg | Sodium: 318mg | Potassium: 229mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 550IU | Vitamin C: 0.6mg | Calcium: 125mg | Iron: 2.9mg