These delicious Caramel Apple Bars feature a brown sugar crumble, cinnamon apples and a generous drizzle of salted caramel sauce. You’ll love this easy fall dessert.
Crumb-topping lovers unite! These bars are for you. And by “you” I also mean me because I just can’t get enough buttery-crumbly goodness in my life. It is no secret that I LOVE crumb toppings. Whether it’s an Apple Crisp, Peach Crisp, Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, Cranberry Crumb Bars or Stuffed Apples, I will never turn down a dessert featuring a crumb topping.
These Caramel Apple Bars are similar to an Apple Crisp; however, they’re heavier on the “crisp” and lighter on the apples. Prefer more fruit? Try my Apple Crisp! Want all that crumbly, caramely deliciousness in bar-form? Read on…
How To Make Caramel Apple Bars
- Start by making the crust/topping (they are made with the same mixture). Combine butter and brown sugar. Add oats, flour, baking soda, and salt, mixing until crumbly.
- Reserve 1-½ cups for the topping, and press the remaining mixture into the bottom of a 9×9 baking pan.
- Combine thinly sliced apples with melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Add the apples to the crust.
- Sprinkle the reserved topping over the apples.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the apples are tender and the topping is golden brown.
- Allow the bars to cool slightly, then drizzle with salted caramel sauce.
Now comes the tough part… You have two options: Wait for the bars to cool so you get pretty, neatly sliced squares, or dive in while they’re still warm, gooey and extra sticky (see photo below). Either way, you are going to love every bite.
Oh, and topping these beautiful bars with vanilla ice cream and a generous drizzle of caramel sauce might just be the best decision you’ll ever make.
Caramel Apple Crumb Bars
Crumb crust and topping:
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup good quality caramel sauce plus more for serving (see note)
- 3 generous cups peeled, thinly sliced Granny Smith apples (about 2-3 apples)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9x9 square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until creamy and combined. Add flour, oats, salt, and baking soda and beat until combined and crumbly, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Reserve 1 ½ cups for the topping. Press the remaining crumble mixture into the bottom of the greased 9x9 pan, pressing it into an even layer.
- In a separate bowl, combine all ingredients for apple filling. Toss until well combined. Dump the apple mixture on top of the crust and spread it out evenly. Crumble the reserved topping over the apples, pressing some of it together to form clumps.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until the topping is golden brown and the apples are tender (insert a sharp knife to check). Place on a wire rack to cool slightly. Drizzle with ⅓ cup caramel sauce. Serve warm, room temperature or chilled. Note: The bars will cut more neatly if chilled. Optional: top with ice cream and additional caramel sauce.