Apple Oatmeal Muffins Recipe ~ Light and tender muffins filled with apples, cinnamon and oatmeal and topped with a walnut-oat streusel!
Hello, hello, hello! How is everyone? How are your new years resolutions going? Did you make any? Or more importantly, have you broken them yet? No judgement here; we’re all friends.
I’m not big into making resolutions but, January always brings along a fresh start and the opportunity to eat better. All year long I try to balance my love of sweets with healthy eats. As someone with a big sweet tooth, I have to find balance in my daily diet. If I’m going to indulge, I make sure that I load up on fruits, veggies, lean protein, and whole grains during the other meals of the day. I strongly believe that eating is all about moderation, never deprivation!
I especially love it when I can enjoy a baked good that has some nutrients in it too! That brings me to these muffins. These beauties are loaded with fresh apples, applesauce, oatmeal, and a little whole wheat flour. They are spiced with cinnamon and topped with a crumbly walnut-oat streusel (feel free to skip the streusel if you want to make these even healthier). These muffins are WAY better for you than the calorie-bomb muffins you get from a bakery or coffee shop. Plus, they taste great too! They are moist and tender and perfectly sweet.
What sets these muffins apart from other muffins is that these have cooked oatmeal in them. The cooked oatmeal adds moisture, texture, and fiber. This recipe is a great way to use up leftover oatmeal that you have sitting in your fridge. Or, the next time you cook a batch of oatmeal for breakfast, purposely make a little extra. Then you’ll have an excuse to make muffins! This is how my brain works. I’m pretty much always thinking about my next meal. 🙂
These muffins are extra tasty fresh from the oven when they are still a little warm. Grab a cup of hot coffee and dig in! And if you’re looking for some other healthier recipe ideas, check out my Healthy Recipes section. Feel like something a little indulgent? Try these Almond Croissants.
Apple Oat Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil, cooled slightly
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup cooked plain oatmeal, see note
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup finely chopped apple, I used a Pink Lady and I left the skin on
Walnut Oat Streusel (optional):
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 12 count muffin tin and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, whisk coconut oil, brown sugar, eggs, oatmeal, and applesauce. Add the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in chopped apple.
- Divide the batter between 12 muffin cups.
- Prepare the streusel - In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon. Add the butter. Using your fingers, work the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles wet sand and forms clumps when you press it together. Sprinkle the streusel over the batter in the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.
This post originally appeared on Julie’s Eats & Treats