Pizza Sloppy Joes – Sloppy Joes filled with your favorite pizza toppings (pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, peppers, cheese, etc.) all piled high on a garlic bread roll. A hearty and satisfying meal for game day or any night of the week!
Sloppy Joes meet pizza. And yes, it’s all that you thought it would be.
Hello perfect game day meal. Hello perfect weeknight meal. Hello perfect fall/winter comfort food meal.
We spent the summer eating salads so that we could spend the next several months eating food that will stick to our
hips ribs. Let’s do this!
You might be wondering what makes these Sloppy Joes taste like pizza? Several things: A combination of ground beef, Italian sausage, and pepperoni, a mixture of your favorite pizza veggies (I used sauteed red onion, green bell pepper, and mushrooms), a generous sprinkling of mozzarella cheese, and a bun that tastes like garlic bread.
I know. It’s almost too good!
One of the great things about this recipe is that it’s super adaptable. Use my recipe as a guide and swap around the ingredients using your favorite pizza toppings. Leave out some veggies, add extra cheese, double the pepperoni… make ’em the way that you want ’em!
You can opt to stir the cheese into the meat mixture before scooping it onto your rolls (see above), or you can melt the cheese right onto each sandwich (see below). Decisions, decisions… (I might have done both).
I like to serve these with a salad because a few bites of salad will easily cancel out the calories from the sausage, pepperoni, cheese, and garlic bread. That’s how it works, right? 😉
Now invite over some friends, gather your family around the table (or couch if it’s game day!) and dig into this hearty and cozy meal.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Pizza Sloppy Joes on Garlic Bread Rolls
Garlic bread rolls:
- 4-6 good quality rolls or buns split, I used ciabatta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- pound ¼ Italian sausage I used chicken sausage, about 1 link
- ½ small red onion minced
- ½ green bell pepper chopped or sliced
- 5 mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 large or 6 small pepperoni chopped
- 15 oz can pizza sauce I like Muir Glen
- cup ¼ ketchup
- cup ½ water plus more if needed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Garlic bread rolls:
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine olive oil, butter, garlic and salt. Brush the top and bottom of each roll with the garlic butter and place on a baking sheet in the oven. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, flipping once, until toasted and golden brown.
- In a large skillet or saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and sausage and cook until browned, breaking it apart as it cooks. Add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add pepperoni, pizza sauce, ketchup, and water and stir to combine. Cover the pan lightly with foil and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add more water, if needed.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if needed (I did not add salt to mine). Sprinkle mozzarella over the top and stir it in to melt, or sprinkle the cheese onto each sandwich. Pile the meat onto the garlic bread and serve immediately.