Crunchy granola loaded with quinoa, dried cherries, almonds and dark chocolate.
Granola is one of my favorite things to make. It is so easy and versatile. Just recently, I started adding cooked quinoa to my granola and I love it! It adds a great crunch and nutty flavor,and as an added bonus, it is super nutritious! In case I haven’t already convinced you that chocolate for breakfast is a great idea (see here), I will try again. 🙂
This granola is made up of oats, quinoa and almonds. Dark chocolate chips and dried cherries are mixed in after baking. The chocolate chips get added to the granola when it is still warm and they melt slightly and help the granola to clump together. Delicious, chocolaty granola clusters – yum, right?! I prefer to eat this granola as is or with a little milk. There are great flavors and textures going on and I don’t like to ruin them by adding too much other stuff.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup to 1 whole cup, dark chocolate chips (depending on how chocolaty you want it)
- ⅔ cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 300. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, quinoa, almonds and salt, mix until thoroughly combined.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted, whisk in brown sugar until combined. Off the heat, whisk in vanilla extract.
- Pour butter mixture over oats and mix thoroughly with a large spoon or rubber spatula. You'll want to make sure all of the oats and quinoa are coated with the butter mixture. Use your hands, if needed, to make sure everything is moistened.
- Spread in an even layer on prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, toss and then bake for 10 more minutes. Toss again and then cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until granola is light golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Then sprinkle the chocolate chips over the granola and toss it a couple of times to evenly distribute the chocolate chips and allow them to get a little melted. Cool completely (about 1 hour at room temp) and then mix in dried cherries.