Apple Cranberry Bread – A cinnamon spiced quick bread filled with apples and fresh cranberries and topped with a pecan streusel.
I’m giddy with excitement because my favorite time of year is here – HOLIDAY BAKING SEASON! I have been training for this; it’s like the Olympics for me. Ha!
In all seriousness, I really do love this time of year. The weather is cool, the house feels cozy, bathing suit season is over, and New Year’s resolutions haven’t yet begun (woohoo)! It really is the most wonderful time of the year.
Apple Cranberry Bread
This recipe is for a quick bread. It closely straddles the line between bread and cake (and what a delicious line that is). It’s cozy and comforting and filled with fall and winter flavors.
The bread is sweet and lightly spiced and it’s filled with diced apples and fresh cranberries. The loaf is topped with a brown sugar pecan streusel, which adds the perfect finishing touch. I absolutely love the contrasting textures between the tender bread and the crunchy, buttery streusel.
I should not be left alone with a loaf of this bread because there’s a good chance I will pick every last bit of streusel off the whole loaf. If anyone in my family asks I’ll just act like I forgot to put the streusel on. Sshhhh. 😉
If you have any other holiday baking inspiration, send it my way. I’m already daydreaming about what should come next.
For now, I’ll be cozied up with a big ol’ cup of coffee and a slice of Apple Cranberry Bread (I’m grabbing the slice with the most streusel!)
Apple Cranberry Bread
- ⅓ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped apple I left the skin on
- 1 cup fresh cranberries I halved the larger berries
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk oil, applesauce, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside 1/4 cup of the dry ingredients. Add the remaining dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir with a spoon or rubber spatula until almost completely combined.
- Toss the apples and cranberries with the reserved 1/4 cup flour, then add to the batter. Stir carefully until fully combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Stir together all topping ingredients until well combined. Crumble the topping over the batter.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
This post originally appeared on Julie’s Eats & Treats where I am a contributor.