Creamy Baked Ravioli layered with asparagus and peas in a light parmesan sauce. An easy recipe for any night of the week.
I got the inspiration for this recipe while flipping through a magazine on a treadmill at the gym. Is it strange that I think about consuming calories while burning calories?
The magazine rack at my gym is a primary motivator in getting me through my cardio workout. Looking through magazines makes my workout go by faster, and it keeps me up to date on the “important” things. How else will I find out why Ben and Jen really split (so sad, by the way), or what Kate Middleton has been wearing?
Last week while perusing Better Homes and Gardens, I came across a recipe for Baked Ravioli with Asparagus, which led to the recipe you see here.
Simply boil store bought ravioli, make a creamy garlic parmesan sauce (I used skim milk to keep it light), then layer the ravioli, asparagus, and peas with the sauce. Top with parmesan cheese and bake until bubbly. The top gets slightly crisp and the inside is smooth and creamy.
This dish is hearty, satisfying, and family friendly. A green salad or rotisserie chicken would be great alongside, although my family found it substantial enough on its own.
Hooray for finding meal inspiration at the gym! Who would have thought?
Baked Ravioli with Asparagus and Peas
- 16 ounces ravioli, I used two 8-oz packages of frozen spinach and cheese ravioli
- ½ pound asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 clove large garlic, minced or finely grated
- 3 cups milk, I used skim
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- salt and pepper
- Chopped parsley and thyme, for garnish (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 10-inch pie plate or 2-quart casserole dish.
- Cook ravioli in boiling water according to package directions. During the final 2 minutes, add the asparagus and peas to the boiling water and boil for 2 minutes. Drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, place the olive oil or butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in flour, cook for 1 more minute. Slowly add the milk, whisking as you pour. Simmer until slightly thickened and bubbly, whisking occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in ¼ cup parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread ¼ cup sauce in the bottom of prepared pan. Top with half the drained ravioli, asparagus, and peas. Spoon half the remaining sauce over, then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons grated parmesan. Add the remaining ravioli and vegetables, top with the remaining sauce, then finish with 2 more tablespoons parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for approximately 20 minutes, or until bubbly. Sprinkle with chopped herbs, if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.