Lemon Blueberry Muffins – Fluffy and tender lemon muffins filled with blueberries and topped with a tangy lemon icing.
In my world, muffins fall under one of two categories:
“Company Muffins”: These are the muffins you make when you want everyone to be impressed. You make them for company, you bring them to a brunch, and you serve them on holidays. They’re buttery, sweet and tender – like something from a bakery.
“Everyday Muffins“: These are the muffins that I make for my family on a regular basis. Because we can’t always start our day with something that closely resembles cake (gosh darnit!), I make some healthy swaps like reducing sugar and swapping in whole grain flours etc.
These Lemon Blueberry Muffins fall squarely into the “Company Muffin” category, and I couldn’t be happier about it. You need to make these, and share them, and spread the Lemon Blueberry Muffin love!
Lemon Blueberry Muffins
There are several things that make these muffins better than any other lemon muffin that I’ve made before:
- Lemon zest, lemon juice and lemon glaze ensure that every bite of these muffins is loaded with bright lemony flavor.
- Sour cream makes these muffins extra moist, and gives them a tender texture. The tang from the sour cream also compliments the lemon.
- A splash of almond extract imparts a subtle almond flavor that goes great with lemon.
- Blueberries! Lemon and blueberries were made to be together. The pop of fresh blueberries takes these over the top!
Not a fan of blueberries? Leave them out and you’ll have a perfect lemon muffin.
With Mother’s Day on the horizon, maybe you’d like to make something special for a mom/aunt/sister/grandmother in your life? These muffins would be perfect, but here are some other ideas just in case you need them:
Raspberry Peach Mimosas
Easy Buttermilk Biscuits
Cinnamon Vanilla Baked French Toast
Almond and Sea Salt Brownies
Cream Cheese Fruit Tarts
Coffee Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cinnamon Roll Cake
Here’s hoping all the mamas out there enjoy a beautiful day filled with treats and time with the ones you love! xo
Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ teaspoon pure almond extract, optional
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 generous cup fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- a pinch of lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 12 count muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk, sour cream, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, almond extract and melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and carefully stir with a rubber spatula until the two mixtures are just combined (it will be thick and a little lumpy - that's ok - don't overmix). Carefully stir in the blueberries.
- Evenly divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool for 5-10 minutes, then remove each muffin to cool completely.
- Whisk all ingredients until smooth. Adjust powdered sugar and lemon juice, as necessary to get your desired consistency. Drizzle icing over cooled muffins.
Recipe adapted from Baking: From My Home to Yours.