Coconut Brownies – Fudgy brownies topped with a layer of creamy sweet coconut and finished with a smooth chocolate ganache. Use your favorite boxed or homemade brownie recipe for this decadent triple layer dessert. VIDEO BELOW!
I first shared these Coconut Brownies a couple years ago, and I made them again recently and decided to update this post with a few new photos. If you’ve tried these and liked them, worry not, the recipe is the same as before.
These Coconut Brownies are just as decadent and delicious as ever. We have three heavenly layers to satisfy every chocolate and/or coconut craving you could possibly have. Warning: Cut these brownies small, they are rich!
Prefer coffee over coconut? Try our Coffee Brownies.
Of all the recipes on this site, these brownies are one my husband, Jason’s, all-time favorites. Anytime I ask him what I should make for dessert, he always requests these. This post has been one of my most popular, so I’m assuming that you love the combo of chocolate and coconut just like we do! This recipe is the perfect marriage of both flavors.
Not only do these brownies taste fantastic, but they are a showstopper as well. The contrasting colors, textures and flavors make these a fabulous dessert for entertaining. Tip: If you want the white coconut layer to stay as white as possible, make sure the ganache topping is completely set before cutting them. Some chocolate will streak into the coconut, it’s inevitable, but the more set the topping is, the more likely they’ll cut neatly.
Three layers of decadence:
- Fudgy Brownies! Use a homemade recipe or a boxed mix.
- Creamy Coconut Filling: Cream cheese, shredded coconut, cream, sugar and vanilla. How can you go wrong with that combination of ingredients?!
- Chocolate Ganache: The Smooth, shiny and beautiful finishing touch to these brownies.
I like to think of these as a combination of a brownie, coconut macaroon, and Mounds candy bar. If you like coconut and chocolate, you will absolutely love sinking your teeth into these thick, gooey brownies. Prefer your chocolate and coconut with nuts? You can absolutely add nuts into the coconut filling, or finely chopped onto the top of the ganache (while it is still wet).
You’ll need one 8×8 or 9×9 pan of baked and cooled brownies for this recipe. I have made this recipe multiple times with a boxed brownie mix, and it comes out wonderfully. If you’d prefer homemade, use your favorite homemade recipe, or try my go-to brownie recipe. It is made in one bowl and they always comes out perfectly chewy and fudgy.
LOVE BROWNIES? TRY THESE OTHER RECIPES:
Brownie in a Mug – Satisfy your brownie craving on minutes! This makes enough for 1-2 people.
German Chocolate Brownies – Fudgy brownies topped with a coconut-pecan frosting.
Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies – The classic combination of chocolate and peanut butter combine in these chewy brownies filled with peanut butter cups and a peanut butter swirl.
Brownie Cookies – Extra chewy and delicious! Make them cakey or fudgy.
Chocolate Coconut Brownies
- One 8x8 or 9x9 pan of brownies, baked and cooled (you can use boxed or homemade brownies, see notes for a link to my favorite brownie recipe)
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup heavy cream or half and half
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- additional shredded coconut for garnish, optional
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the cream cheese, cream or half and half, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Add the coconut and beat for another minute to thoroughly combine.
- Dump the coconut mixture on top of the cooled brownies and spread it around into an even layer. Refrigerate while you prepare the ganache.
For the ganache:
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the cream and chocolate chips. Stir until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Pour the ganache over the coconut topped brownies, smoothing the top. If you'd like to sprinkle the top of the brownies with additional shredded coconut, do so now, while the ganache is still soft.
- Return the brownies to the fridge for at least an hour for the ganache to firm up before cutting and serving. These brownies are rich, I cut them small.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.