Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich Cookies -Soft chocolate cookies sandwiching peppermint frosting and rolled in crushed peppermint candies. A festive cookie for the holidays!
Hello there! I hope your Thanksgiving was extra delicious. Are you out shopping this weekend? Eating pie for breakfast (ahem)? Traveling back home after the holiday? I know December isn’t quite here yet, but I have some fabulous recipes to share with you over the next month so, I’m gettin’ to it. Here we go …
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
The month of December screams ALL THINGS PEPPERMINT. I wait all year to enjoy the combo of chocolate and peppermint; I absolutely love it! It’s a flavor combo that just doesn’t feel right any other time of year. Now that we’re shifting our sights to December, I say bring on chocolate and peppermint everything.
Today I’m bringing you the prettiest Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich Cookies! Soft chocolate cookies sandwiching peppermint filling and rolled in crushed peppermint candies.
These sandwich cookies are pretty enough to give as a gift, they’d be great for a cookie exchange, or just sharing with friends and family that stop in this holiday season. Also, if you have kids, they’ll love eating these cookies as well as helping you make them. My kids were overjoyed to dive into a cookie that is actually two(!) cookies sandwiching frosting. Ha! The joys of the holidays!
These cookies are soft, almost brownie-like. It’s essential to have soft cookies, so the frosting doesn’t squeeze out too much when you bite down. The peppermint filling is the perfect compliment to the fudgy cookies. What gives the filling it’s peppermint flavor is peppermint extract. A little bit of peppermint extract goes a long way! Adjust it to suit your taste.
This is the time of year for chocolate and peppermint, and I will not miss an opportunity to indulge! Looking for more holiday recipes? CHECK THESE OUT: White Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Cookies – Christmas Bark – Ginger Molasses Cookies – Pecan Praline Bark – Cookie Mix in a Jar
Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich Cookies
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cubed
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract or more to taste
- 1/3 cup crushed candy canes or peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter and chocolate chips until completely smooth. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk brown sugar and eggs. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture into the eggs and brown sugar and whisk until combined. Add the flour mixture and stir until combined (I stir it with a rubber spatula). The dough will be sticky, but if it seems too wet to scoop, mix in another tablespoon or two of flour.
- Scoop dough by the tablespoon (I use a scoop) and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Dampen your palm, and lightly press down on each mound of dough to flatten slightly. Bake for 9-10 minutes, until the edges are set and the centers are puffed and still appear slightly underdone (they will continue to cook as they cool). Place baking sheets on cooling racks and cool completely.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and beat until combined. Add milk and peppermint extract and beat on medium speed for 1 minute, until smooth and creamy.
- Using a butter knife or pastry bag, spread or pipe frosting onto the bottom of half the cookies. Top with the remaining cookies. If desired, roll the edges (where the frosting is) in crushed candy canes.