Coconut Cream Pie Dip – Creamy coconut custard topped with whipped cream and toasted coconut. Serve with graham crackers or cookies for dipping.
A week or so ago I said that I was going to be sharing some lighter recipes over the next several weeks. This is not one of those recipes. This Coconut Cream Pie Dip is indulgent, decadent, and unbelievably delicious, and there is nothing “light” about it. So if you’re currently dieting, I apologize. But I had to do this.
This is essentially a bowl filled with the inside of a coconut cream pie. Serve it alongside graham crackers, cookies, or fruit for dipping – or just dig in with a spoon.
Coconut Cream Pie Dip
- Coconut Custard
- Freshly Whipped Cream
- Toasted Coconut
Tell me you don’t want to swan dive right into that?! Gah! You’ll find any reason to eat this – I certainly did.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Coconut Cream Pie Dip
- 1 cup coconut milk not cream of coconut
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Toasted coconut for garnish (see note)
- Graham crackers, cookies, or fruit, for dipping
Make the custard:
- Put the coconut milk, whole milk, and shredded coconut in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk sugar, salt, egg yolks, and cornstarch (mixture will be thick). Once the milk is simmering, remove the saucepan from the heat and very slowly pour 1 1/2 cups of the warm milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly as you pour (this will help slowly bring up the temperature of the eggs). Whisk really well to break up any lumps, and make sure that the hot liquid is added very slowly.
- Pour the warmed egg mixture into the saucepan and bring the whole mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Alternate whisking and stirring with a rubber spatula. After 3-5 minutes, it will be bubbling and thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and butter. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until chilled.
- Prepare the whipped cream: Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, whip the cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract for several minutes until thickened.
- Top the cooled custard with whipped cream, and garnish with toasted coconut.
To toast coconut: Place sweetened shredded coconut (I used about 1/3 cup) in a dry skillet over medium heat. Stir frequently until toasted and golden brown, several minutes. Watch it closely, it can burn quickly. Cool toasted coconut before topping the dip.