A healthy sweet and salty snack of popcorn drizzled with melted dark chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt. Part dessert, part snack – completely delicious!
Let’s cover popcorn with melted chocolate, sprinkle it with sea salt, and then find a comfy spot on the couch. Movie night? Game night? Academy Awards night? You’ll find any reason to make this fabulous chocolate popcorn. Plus, GREAT news, it turns out that eating chocolate actually makes you smarter. Eat up!
We alternate family game nights and family movie nights every week or two. And because I am all about the food, we accompany our movies and games with snacks. Rather than plain popcorn, I’ve been making this easy chocolate popcorn which is tasty, satisfying, and healthy. I love that I can eat a big bowl of this popcorn, with chocolate in every single bite, yet not actually be consuming a tremendous amount of chocolate. Score!
How to Make Chocolate Popcorn
This recipe is super simple – just pop some popcorn on the stove or in an air popper, then toss it with melted chocolate and sprinkle it with sea salt. Give the popcorn a little time to allow the chocolate to firm up, then grab a bowl and dig in. You will love this sweet and salty twist on popcorn.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Popcorn
- 2 tablespoons oil, use an oil with high smoke point such as peanut or canola
- ⅓ cup popcorn kernels
- generous ½ cup dark chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips, melted (see notes)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium high heat. Put 3 popcorn kernels into the oil and cover the pan. When the kernels pop, add the rest of the ⅓ cup of popcorn kernels in an even layer and cover with the lid.
- Gently shake the pot over the heat source to prevent the kernels from burning. Once the kernels start popping I like to leave the lid slightly ajar to allow some steam to escape. Shake the pan occasionally until most kernels have popped and popping has slowed to several seconds between pops.
- Remove the lid and carefully pour the popcorn onto the prepared baking sheet. Be sure that no unpopped kernels make their way onto the baking sheet. Drizzle the popcorn with melted chocolate and sprinkle with sea salt. Toss the popcorn to distribute the chocolate. Taste it and add additional salt, if desired. Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes for the chocolate to firm up (you can also quickly pop it in the fridge to speed this along).
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.