The name of this recipe says it all – these cookies are soft, sweet and perfectly speckled with sprinkles. They’re the perfect no frills cookie for kids and they would be great for a birthday party or as an after school treat. I made these with my toddler son and he had blast. Although, if I’m being completely honest, what he really enjoyed was shoving fistfuls of sprinkles into his mouth while I did most of the work.
Not only are these cookies delicious and easy, they bake in less than 10 minutes. Get moving now and you could have freshly baked sugar cookies in no time!
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract, mixing until combined. Add in flour mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in sprinkles.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball, or use a 1½ tablespoon scoop, and drop dough onto prepared baking sheet leaving about an inch for spreading.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the centers are set. The cookies will look soft and slightly under cooked but they will finish cooking while cooling on the baking sheet.
- Remove from oven and let cookies cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.