Easy Sugar Cookies – This simple recipe will be your go-to for Sugar Cookies. These cookies comes together in minutes, and you don’t have to roll out the dough. Bake them soft, or crisp – your choice!
Happy Monday, friends! Today I’m bringing you an easy sugar cookie recipe. Everyone needs one of those, right? I am often asked which recipes I use for certain “traditional” desserts (chocolate cake, oatmeal cookies, vanilla buttercream, etc.). Although this little space of mine is filled with of plenty sweet treats, I don’t have many of the classics that you might need. I’m going to start bringing you some of my favorite everyday go-to recipes.
Sugar Cookies from Scratch!
Put down that tube of cookie dough. I’m going to show you how easy it is to make homemade sugar cookies.
These are easy for two reasons.
1) the dough comes together in about 5 minutes flat.
2) no chilling and rolling out the dough.
The dough gets scooped, tossed around in sugar, and placed on a baking sheet where you’ll flatten and bake them. Easy peasy!
Soft Sugar Cookies or Crisp Sugar Cookies
We all have our preferences when it comes to sugar cookies. The good news about this recipe is that you can underbake them slightly for a softer cookie, or bake them a little longer for a crisp cookie (I like mine right in between).
You can eat them plain, top them with sprinkles, cover them in frosting, or use them as a base for other recipes (like these adorable Bird’s Nests).
What makes these cookies extra scrumptious is my secret ingredient – almond extract. Just a little splash goes a long way. They’re also flavored with vanilla extract which gives them the distinct sugar cookie flavor that we all love.
So there you have it. Easy, delicious, sugar cookies. Stack ’em up, gobble ’em up, enjoy!
You might also like:
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Easy Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter slightly softened but still firm
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract optional
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar for rolling (coarse sugar can also be used)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar for a couple minutes, until light and creamy. Add extracts and egg, and beat until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until combined.
- Place 1/2 cup sugar in a shallow bowl or plate. Scoop dough by the heaping tablespoon (I used a 1 1/2 tablespoon scoop), and roll in the sugar. Space dough balls about two inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Use the bottom of a glass to flatten each ball of dough.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes for softer cookies, or 9-10 minutes for crispier cookies. If using portions of dough that are more or less than 1 1/2 tablespoons, adjust baking time accordingly. Place the baking sheet on a rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour