These delicious banana muffins are filled with blueberries and flavored with vanilla. They bake up perfectly – fluffy inside, crisp edges, and juicy blueberries in every bite. This easy recipe comes together in minutes and no mixer is needed.
These Blueberry Banana Muffins are perfect for slathering in salted butter and devouring for breakfast, after school snack, or even dessert. I used my Banana Nut Muffin recipe as inspiration and made a few small tweaks to make these incredible Blueberry Banana Muffins.
This recipe is super easy. You don’t need any fancy equipment.
- Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl.
- Combine the wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Toss the blueberries with a little flour.
- Stir in the blueberries.
- Place in a muffin pan and sprinkle the tops with granulated sugar.
Yes. Keep the blueberries frozen and stir them in straight from the freezer. The smaller they are the better, since large blueberries will hold quite a bit of moisture. Note: The color might bleed into the muffin batter a bit more than it would with fresh blueberries.
If you’d prefer a plain banana muffin, try this recipe (with or without nuts): Banana Nut Muffins
Try one of these Sour Cream Substitutes.
You will need between 2-3 overripe bananas.
- Use overripe bananas. They’ll be extra sweet and they’ll mash and blend into the batter easily.
- Don’t overmix when combining the wet and dry ingredients.
- Toss the blueberries with a little flour to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the muffins.
- Sprinkle granulated sugar on top of the muffins before baking. This creates a sweet, crackly topping.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop the batter into the muffin pan.
Blueberry Banana Muffins
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas , about 2-3 bananas
- ½ cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 ⅔ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour, for mixing with the blueberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, for topping the muffins
- Preheat oven to 375°F with a rack in the middle of the oven.
- In a large bowl, whisk melted butter and brown sugar and ½ cup granulated sugar until well combined, about 1 full minute. Add eggs and vanilla, whisking until combined. Then add mashed banana and sour cream, whisking until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and use a rubber spatula to lightly stir the batter until almost fully combined. Toss 1 cup blueberries with 1 tablespoon of flour, then stir into the batter.
- Grease 12 standard-sized muffin cups or line with paper liners. Divide the batter evenly among the cups, filling almost all the way to the top. Using the remaining ¼ cup blueberries, add a few blueberries to the top of each muffin. Sprinkle the tops with granulated sugar. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove the muffins from the pan and place them directly on the rack to cool..