Juicy and tender sliced apples and pears baked with a buttery brown sugar oat topping. Serve this Apple Pear Crisp warm topped with vanilla ice cream. This is sure to be one of your favorite fall desserts!
Ready or not, I’m starting to bring out fall recipes. I am so looking forward to cool weather and cozy baking (eeeek!). As we begin the transition from summer to fall one of the first recipes I always make is an Apple Crisp. This version has some pears added in as well, and the combo of apples + pears is a match made in heaven.
Prefer a topping without oats? Try our Apple Crumble.
- Topping: This is my favorite fruit crisp topping. A mixture of oats, flour, sugars, cinnamon, salt, and melted butter. It comes together in one bowl in minutes.
- Filling: Sliced apples and pears baked with sugar, flour, cinnamon, and a bit of apple juice.
- Assembly: Scoop the fruit into the baking dish. Crumble the topping over the top of the fruit. Bake until bubbly and golden brown.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Flavor: Apples, pears, cinnamon, and brown sugar are a fantastic flavor combination.
- Texture: Tender apples, juicy pears, and a crunchy buttery topping.
- Ease: Only about 20 minutes of hands-on time.
- Versatility: You can easily adapt this recipe based on what fruit you have on hand. You can use more apples than pears or vice versa.
- Use ripe slightly firm pears. If the pears are too ripe they will get mushy before the apple slices cook through.
- You’ll need about 5 medium-sized pieces of fruit. I used 2 apples and 3 pears.
- Slice the fruit ¼-inch thick (or thinner) so that they cook quickly. Make sure they are all close in size so that they cook in the same amount of time.
- Bake the fruit crisp covered with foil for the first half of the bake time. This will help the fruit to cook without the topping getting too dark.
- Allow the fruit crisp to cool for at least 15 minutes. The juices will thicken as it cools.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream. A warm fruit crisp topped with vanilla ice cream can’t be beat.
Serving and storage
Serving: Scoop portions onto plates or bowls and serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Storage: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat individual portions in the microwave.
Apple Pear Crisp
- 3 ripe-firm pears*, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 large apples*, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F with a rack in the center of the oven. Grease a 9 inch deep dish pie plate or 8×11 baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine pears, apples, juice, granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, and vanilla. Stir gently until completely combined. Dump the mixture (and any accumulated juices) into the prepared baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Add melted butter and stir until combined. using your fingers, crumble the mixture over the fruit occasionally pressing some of it together to form clumps.
- Lightly spray a piece of foil with nonstick spray. Cover the fruit crisp and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes, until the fruit juices are bubbling and the topping is golden. Place on a rack to cool for about 15 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.