Yogurt Parfait Recipe – Homemade applesauce flavored with cinnamon and maple syrup and layered with yogurt and granola. A delicious and healthy breakfast, snack, or dessert.
Hello, hello. Grab a cup of coffee or tea. Let’s chat.
Before we get to these parfaits I want to share some exciting news. My husband and I just booked a (kid-free!) trip to Hawaii. We are headed to Oahu in December for my best friend’s wedding. Eeeekk! This means several things:
- Where should we eat? What should we do? Please share!
- Hawaii at Christmastime means I get to greet everyone with Mele Kalikimaka, right? 😉
- I will be wearing a bathing suit in December (the time of year that my body is the squishiest and my clothes are the tightest), so I’ll be balancing a few healthier meals with the indulgent ones that are bound to be consumed over the next few months.
I’ve been embracing fall with cakes, pancakes, and ice cream. It was time for something a little lighter. I made a batch of homemade applesauce and layered it with yogurt and granola for a healthy breakfast/snack/dessert. I then smothered it in cream cheese frosting and caramel sauce. Kidding! We’re keeping things healthy today, folks.
Have you made homemade applesauce? Once you have homemade applesauce you will never want that watery, flavorless store bought stuff again. It is so easy! Like, really easy → Peel and chop apples, simmer with a little liquid, mash or puree. Done.
I add a little extra flavoring to my apples while they are cooking. For this recipe I add lemon juice, cinnamon, and just a touch of maple syrup. I also like to use a variety of apples; some sweet, some tart. It creates great flavor. Once the applesauce is done you can mash it with a potato masher for a chunkier texture (my fave!) or you can puree it with a blender for a smooth consistency. Your choice! You’re the boss in your kitchen.
Obviously, you can eat this applesauce on it’s own; it make a delicious snack or side. To make it more meal worthy I added Greek yogurt and a sprinkling of granola. An extra drizzle of pure maple syrup makes it feel just a tad indulgent.
Your healthy fall breakfast awaits!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Homemade Applesauce and Yogurt Parfaits
- 6 apples peeled, cored and chopped (see note)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or more to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- 4-6 cups Plain or vanilla yogurt
- Maple syrup optional
- Granola optional
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and simmer for an additional 10 minutes or so, until the apples are tender and can be easily mashed. Add a little more water if needed. Mash the apples into a chunky sauce (or puree for a smoother sauce). Feel free to add more syrup or cinnamon to taste. Chill.
- Layer yogurt, applesauce, and granola in a bowl or glass. Drizzle with maple syrup if desired.
I used three varieties of apples: Granny Smith, Gala and Fuji. You can use whatever you prefer.
Love apples? Check out these apple recipes from my friends:
Apple Pecan Bread Pudding from Bread Booze Bacon
Caramel Apple Oatmeal Cookies from I Heart Eating
Apple Pie Mug Cake from Kleinworth & Co.
Apple Cider Doughnuts from Cooking with Curls
Apple Pecan Stuffing from Home.Made.Interest.
Hard Apple Cider Sangria from Sugar & Soul
Salted Caramel Apples from The Creative Bite
Applesauce & Yogurt Parfaits from Celebrating Sweets
Apple Pie French Toast for One from Frugal Foodie Mama
Apple Pie Braid from Liz on Call