Chocolate Chip Pancakes – Tender and fluffy chocolate chip buttermilk pancakes topped with a homemade strawberry syrup.
Do these strawberries count as a serving of fruit even though they are smothering a stack of chocolate chip pancakes?
I say yes.
With Valentine’s Day around the corner I’ve got chocolate and strawberries on the brain. Rather than go the dessert route, I figured I’d find a way to get chocolate and strawberries into our breakfast. And if you’re like my family and you love breakfast for dinner, this right here is the coziest brinner ever.
I’m going to go out on a limb and say these are the best pancakes I’ve ever made. Maybe it’s all those melty chocolate chips persuading me to say that, but I’m telling you, these are delicious.
If you’re not feeling the strawberry syrup, you can absolutely skip it and just make the chocolate chip pancakes. They are fantastic on their own with a pat of salted butter.
Chocolate Chip Pancakes
I started with homemade buttermilk pancake batter and mixed in a generous handful of semisweet chocolate chips. The pancakes bake up fluffy and tender with the perfect balance of slightly sweet and chocolaty. Pssst… if you decided to sprinkle some additional chocolate chips between the pancakes as you stack them up you would not regret it.
Forget to buy buttermilk? Try my Buttermilk Substitute.
The homemade strawberry syrup is super simple. Just a handful of ingredients and a few minutes simmering on the stovetop. You can puree the syrup for a smoother consistency or you can leave it chunkier (like I did) which is more like a syrupy compote.
Pretty please find time to squeeze these into your life. These Chocolate Chip Pancakes with Homemade Strawberry Syrup are like a big warm hug on a plate.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE to our free EMAIL LIST – LIKE us on FACEBOOK – Follow on INSTAGRAM
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES:
BROWN SUGAR BANANA BREAD
BLUEBERRY BUTTERMILK PANCAKE CASSEROLE
CINNAMON VANILLA BAKED FRENCH TOAST
BANANA BROWN SUGAR PANCAKES
APPLE CINNAMON FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
STUFFED FRENCH TOAST
Chocolate Chip Pancakes with Homemade Strawberry Syrup
Homemade Strawberry Syrup:
- 2 ½ cups chopped fresh strawberries, divided
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ teapoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoons water
Chocolate Chip Pancakes:
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour, (or swap for all purpose flour)
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons unsalted melted butter, plus more for greasing pan
- ½ cup chocolate chips, I used semisweet
- Place 2 cups of strawberries, sugar, and ¼ cup water in a saucepan set over medium heat. Simmer for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water. Add the cornstarch slurry to the strawberries that are cooking, along with the remaining ½ cup fresh strawberries (these strawberries will help add some texture to the syrup). Simmer for another 2-3 minutes until thickened. Serve the syrup as is (I like it chunky) or puree a portion of it for a thinner syrup.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together buttermilk, milk, vanilla, egg, egg white and melted butter.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips being careful not to overmix.
- Grease a griddle over medium-low heat. Scoop batter into ¼ or ⅓ cup portions and place on the griddle. Cook until bubbles begin to form, then flip and cook on the other side until done. Continue until all batter is used. Pancakes can be kept warm on a baking sheet in a 200°F oven. Serve warm with strawberry syrup.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.
Leave a Reply