Cranberry Walnut Chicken Salad – Easy chicken salad filled with tender chicken, dried cranberries, walnuts, apples, celery, dill, and parsley. For a healthier option, you can use Greek yogurt in the dressing and serve the chicken salad on lettuce instead of bread. VIDEO BELOW!
As the weather heats up in Arizona, I start craving easy no-cook meals. Every weekend I do our grocery shopping for the upcoming week, and I always pick up a rotisserie chicken. Between soup, chili, sandwiches, or salads, I always find a way to use the chicken during the week. Lately we have been using rotisserie chicken for this this easy Cranberry Walnut Chicken Salad.
Cranberry Walnut Chicken Salad
This is my personal favorite version of chicken salad. It includes dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, chopped apple or celery, and just a touch of dill and parsley. The dressing is made from mayo, sour cream or Greek yogurt, and a splash of fresh lemon juice.
This recipe can easily be made lighter/healthier by using Greek yogurt and by serving the chicken salad in lettuce cups or over mixed greens. It’s a fairly low carb recipe (except for the dried cranberries), so for people who try to watch their carb intake, this is a great high protein meal. Note: Full nutrition facts below.
Tips for making Cranberry Chicken Salad
- Take a shortcut with a rotisserie chicken.
- Prefer to cook the chicken yourself? I love this recipe.
- Adjust the seasoning to suit your taste (I like extra dill and black pepper in mine).
- Use toasted nuts (so much flavor!). This recipe calls for walnuts, but pecans or pistachios would be a great substitute.
- Don’t have dried cranberries? I have also used dried cherries and raisins with success.
How do you like to eat your chicken salad? On bread? With crackers? In lettuce cups? Sometimes I just steal bites from the fridge right off a fork. Since this is a high protein, fairly low-carb meal, I can eat it guilt free. And just in time for bathing suit season. 😉
However you decide to eat it I know that you will love it! Extra points if you get to enjoy it while sitting outside on a beautiful, warm day.
Cranberry Walnut Chicken Salad
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt I prefer light sour cream or lowfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 3 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken I use white meat from a rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery or finely chopped apple
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts see note
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk mayonnaise, sour cream or yogurt, lemon juice, parsley, and dill. Add remaining ingredients and stir until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve chilled on bread or lettuce.
To toast walnuts: Place walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes, until fragrant and toasted. Watch them carefully so they don't burn. Cool before adding to the chicken salad.