Easy Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup! Filled with chicken, vegetables, rice, and a touch of cream, this flavorful soup is ready in 30 minutes.
This recipe was created as part of a shop compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser, Mars, Incorporated. All opinions are my own.
Who needs a meal that is ready in 30 minutes, made in one-pot, and is guaranteed to warm you up on a chilly winter night?
Me, me, me! Which is why this Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup is a standby for my family. I love a good one-pot meal that has our protein and veggies all rolled into one. Plus – leftovers! This soup reheats perfectly, which means you can make several meals out of it.
How to Make Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup:
- Sauté Veggies (We like carrots, celery, leeks and peas)
- Add Chicken (Use a rotisserie chicken to save time)
- Add Pre-cooked rice (Use Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice, or leftover rice from another meal)
- Add Chicken Stock or Broth
- Finish with Heavy Cream (just a splash to make it creamy)
In the recipe itself I have given some different options for swapping around vegetables to accommodate your family’s tastes. You can also add sliced mushrooms, frozen cut green beans, corn or finely chopped butternut squash. There’s bound to be a version of this soup that your family will love!
Tip: This is also a great way to sneak in veggies for picky eaters.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Easy Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 scant cup chopped celery approx 2 stalks
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots approx 2-3 carrots
- 1 small leek halved and thinly sliced (or 1/3 cup chopped yellow onion)
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken I used a rotisserie chicken
- One 8.8oz package Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Ready Rice or sub a couple cups of cooked wild rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or more if desired
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter or oil. Once melted, add celery, carrots, and leek/onion. Saute, stirring frequently, until the vegetables begin to soften, 5-7 minutes. Stir in another tablespoon of butter or olive oil then sprinkle in the flour and stir until well combined.
- Add the chicken broth, peas, chicken, and rice, bay leaf and poutltry seasoning, stirring to combine. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender. Stir in cream.
- Add water to thin out the soup to your desired consistency. My family prefers thick soup so I only added 1/2 cup water. Add salt and pepper to taste.