A fast, easy recipe for White Chicken Chili. Filled with chicken, corn, white beans, and green chiles. Comforting and healthy!
Happy New Year, everyone! Is 2015 off to a good start for you? So far, so good for me. We’ve been hunkering down the last few days because it has been downright freezing around here. I know, it’s January – hello, it’s supposed to be cold. I’m just not used to it being this cold. So until the temps get back up into the 70’s (later this week, yippee), I’m locking myself inside and cooking all the warm, comforting dishes I can think of.
White Chicken Chili
- Chicken (I take a shortcut with a rotisserie chicken)
- Yellow Bell Pepper
- Green Chiles
- White Beans
- Creamed corn – my secret ingredient!
This is a great weeknight meal. It comes together in under 30 minutes. Plus, the leftovers keep well for meals in the following days. And if the start of the new year has you watching your diet, a bowl of this chili makes for a healthy and wholesome meal. It’s so full of flavor you won’t even know that it’s good for you. It’s the perfect way to kick off the (chilly) new year.
30 Minute White Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- One or two 4 oz cans diced green chiles
- 1 scant tablespoon chili seasoning mix, I used Penzey's Chili 3000
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 ½ cups creamed corn
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock , (plus more if desired)
- One 15 oz can cannellini beans/white beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup corn kernels, I used frozen
- Optional garnishes: tortilla chips, sour cream, green onion, grated cheese, avocado
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add olive oil, onion, and bell pepper. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add green chiles, chili seasoning, chicken, creamed corn, chicken stock, beans, and corn kernels. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add more stock or water if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with suggested garnishes.