Soft and chewy chocolate cookies filled with double chocolate chips! These cookies are loaded with two types of fudgy, gooey chocolate chips. No chill time for the cookie dough – prep and bake in under 30 minutes. These cookies are guaranteed to satisfy your chocolate craving in seconds.
Chocolate cookie dough: My favorite chocolate-based cookie dough. Sweetened with a combination of brown sugar and white sugar, flavored with cocoa powder and vanilla. These cookies bake up with crisp edges and soft centers.
Chocolate chips: Here’s where the double chocolate chips comes in! We are adding extra chocolate chips, and we’re using TWO kinds. I love using dark chocolate and milk chocolate together, but use any chips that you like.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Flavor: Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate! Need I say more? 😉
- Texture: Crisp edges, soft and chewy centers, with little pockets of melty chocolate throughout.
- Ease: No fancy techniques or equipment needed. The ingredient list is basic and you can use a hand mixer or stand mixer for preparing the dough.
- No chill time: Cookies right when you want them. Whip up the dough and bake immediately.
- Butter should be softened to cool room temperature. It should be soft but still cool to the touch. If the butter is over-softened (or beginning to melt) the cookies will spread too much in the oven. If you accidentally over-soften your butter just prepare the dough and pop it in the fridge for about one hour.
- Line your baking sheets with parchment paper. This helps the cookies bake evenly and prevents them from spreading too much. Bonus: it also makes clean-up a breeze!
- Use a cookie scoop for evenly sized cookies.
- Under bake the cookies. You should remove these cookies from the oven when the edges are set but the centers are undercooked. They should be so soft that you cannot pick them up off the baking sheet without them falling apart. They will firm up as they cool on the baking sheet.
- Add a few extra chocolate chips to the top of the dough balls before baking (this makes for a prettier cookie).
- Once the cookies comes out the oven use the back of a spoon to gently push the edges inward to create clean edges and a perfect round shape.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened, but still slightly cool
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar, make sure it's fresh and soft
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour*
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 ¾ cups chocolate chips**, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a hand mixer, or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars for several minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the the egg and vanilla extract and beat to combine, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cocoa, flour, baking soda, salt and cornstarch. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mixing until just combined. Reserve ¼ cup chocolate chips for topping the dough balls. Stir in the remaining chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough into 2 tablespoon portions and place a couple inches apart on prepared cookie sheets***. Make sure the dough balls are mounded fairly high (not flattened). Press some of the reserved chocolate chips onto the tops of each dough ball (this will make the chips more visible). Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the edges are just beginning to set and the center is still underdone. They will look under baked and too soft to pick up, but the cookies will set as they cool. Place the baking sheets on wire racks to cool completely. See note about shaping the cookies as soon as they come out of the oven.
Nutritional Information is an estimate based on third-party calculations and may vary based on products used and serving sizes.