Moist gingerbread muffins filled with warm spices, rich molasses, and fresh pear.
Hello, friends! I can’t believe it’s been two weeks since I shared a recipe. Time has really gotten away from me. So, here we are, in December! I think we’ve all had our fill of pumpkin and apple, so it’s on to gingerbread. In my opinion, there is no better time for gingerbread than the month of December. With it’s sweet and spicy flavor, and deep molasses color, gingerbread anything is pure comfort this time of year.
Today I’m bringing you Gingerbread Pear Muffins. They are filled with ginger and molasses, and they are studded with chunks of fresh pear. The subtle, sweet pear goes wonderfully with the warm spice of the muffin. I topped these muffins with a sprinkling of coarse sugar, which adds a perfect crunch.
My family enjoyed these muffins over several days. They were great for breakfast or alongside a cup of coffee or tea in the afternoon. Not only do these muffins taste great, but they will make your house smell amazing while they are baking. No need for a fancy scented candle, just whip up a batch of these Gingerbread Pear Muffins! ‘Tis the season!
Gingerbread Pear Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large pear, peeled and chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar, (I used sparkling sugar but raw sugar would work too)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 12-count muffin tin or fill with paper liners
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, molasses, milk, oil, and egg. Add dry ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in chopped pear.
- Divide batter evenly among 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.