Yogurt Parfait Recipe – Homemade applesauce flavored with cinnamon and maple syrup and layered with yogurt and granola. A delicious and healthy breakfast, snack, or dessert.
I’ve been embracing fall with cakes, pancakes, and ice cream. It was time for something a little lighter. I made a batch of homemade applesauce and layered it with yogurt and granola for a healthy breakfast/snack/dessert.
Have you made homemade applesauce? Once you have homemade applesauce you will never want that watery, flavorless store bought stuff again. It is so easy! Like, really easy → Peel and chop apples, simmer with a little liquid, mash or puree. Done. Note: You could also use my Pear Sauce in this parfait as well.
I add a little extra flavoring to my apples while they are cooking. For this recipe I add lemon juice, cinnamon, and just a touch of maple syrup. I also like to use a variety of apples; some sweet, some tart. It creates great flavor. Once the applesauce is done you can mash it with a potato masher for a chunkier texture (my fave!) or you can puree it with a blender for a smooth consistency. Your choice! You’re the boss in your kitchen.
Obviously, you can eat this applesauce on it’s own; it make a delicious snack or side. To make it more meal worthy I added Greek yogurt and a sprinkling of granola. An extra drizzle of pure maple syrup makes it feel just a tad indulgent.
Your healthy fall breakfast awaits!
Homemade Applesauce and Yogurt Parfaits
- 6 apples, peeled, cored and chopped (see note)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, or more to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- 4-6 cups Plain or vanilla yogurt
- Maple syrup, optional
- Granola, optional
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and simmer for an additional 10 minutes or so, until the apples are tender and can be easily mashed. Add a little more water if needed. Mash the apples into a chunky sauce (or puree for a smoother sauce). Feel free to add more syrup or cinnamon to taste. Chill.
- Layer yogurt, applesauce, and granola in a bowl or glass. Drizzle with maple syrup if desired.