Get ready to sink your teeth into big, thick cookies packed full of chocolate, peanut butter, oats, and M&M’s. The cookies are soft in the center, crisp on the edges, and loaded with flavor and texture. Two special mix-ins make these the BEST Monster Cookies ever!
We’re back to school around here and we’re continuing our tradition of celebrating the first day of school with a batch of homemade cookies. This year we had Monster Cookies and upon one bite I knew I needed to share them with you. In my opinion these are the BEST Monster Cookies. Want to know why? Read on!
Cookie dough: This quick and easy peanut butter-based dough comes together in minutes (it’s the same dough as my Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies). Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, combine butter and peanut butter. Add egg and vanilla. Add flour, oats, baking soda, and salt.
Add the mix-ins: Stir in a generous amount of chocolate chips, M&M’s, and my two special additions: peanut butter chips and honey roasted peanuts!
Scoop them BIG: Monster cookies should be big! I scoop ¼ cup dough balls and place them on a lined baking sheet.
Bake: You can bake these cookies immediately; no need to chill the dough. Bake until edges are set but the center of the cookies is still underbaked. They will firm up as they cool.
Two special ingredients
- Peanut Butter Chips
- Honey Roasted Peanuts
Monster Cookies are typically made with chocolate chips and M&M’s as the only mix-ins. I really wanted a bolder peanut butter flavor so I also add peanut butter chips and honey roasted peanuts. This adds a pop of peanut buttery flavor to contrast with the chocolate. TIP: Nestle Toll House sells combination chocolate chips and peanut butter chips in the same bag! That’s what I used for this recipe.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Flavor: Chocolate + peanut butter in a buttery brown sugar dough.
- Texture: Crisp edges, soft centers, and chewiness throughout from the oats.
- Ease: No fancy techniques or equipment needed. You can use a hand mixer or stand mixer for preparing the dough.
- Easily adaptable: These cookies are best when made with the mix-ins suggested, but if you have more of one and less than another feel free to play around with different chips and nuts.
- No chill time: Cookies right when you want them. Whip up the dough and bake immediately.
- Butter should be softened but still cool to the touch.
- Use an emulsified commercial brand of peanut butter (not the kind with oil on top).
- Line your baking sheets with parchment paper. This helps the cookies bake evenly and prevents them from spreading too much. Bonus: it also makes clean-up a breeze.
- Use a cookie scoop for evenly sized cookies. These cookies are big, so I use an ice cream scoop; ¼ cup is the perfect size.
- Press down gently on the dough balls before baking. This will help them spread evenly.
- Add a few extra chocolate chips and/or M&M’s to the top of the dough balls before baking (this makes for a prettier cookie).
- Underbake the cookies. You should remove these cookies from the oven when the edges are barely set but the centers are undercooked. They should be so soft that you cannot pick them up off the baking sheet without them falling apart. They will firm up as they cool on the baking sheet.
- Once the cookies come out the oven use the back of a spoon to gently push the edges inward to create clean edges and a perfect round shape.
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- ⅔ cup creamy peanut butter*, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cups combination of: chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, M&M's, and chopped honey roasted peanuts**
- ¼ cup chocolate chips and/or M&M's for topping the cookies, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and oats. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, with a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and peanut butter until smooth. Add both sugars and beat until combined. Beat in egg and vanilla, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Add flour mixture and mix on low speed until thoroughly combined. Stir in 1-½ cups of mix-ins**.
- Scoop the dough into generous ¼-cup balls (I use an ice cream scoop) and place the dough balls a couple inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Flatten the dough mounds slightly. Using the remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips/M&M's press several onto the tops of each dough mound (this makes for a prettier cookie).
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, rotating the baking sheets front-to-back/top-to-bottom once during bake time. Bake until the edges are just beginning to darken but the centers are still undercooked (the cookies should be so soft/underbaked that you can't pick them up yet). Place the baking sheets on wire racks to cool and firm up.