The BEST Soft and Chewy M&M Cookies. Crisp chewy edges, soft centers and loaded with M&M’s. No chill time – you can be diving into these crazy-delicious cookies in minutes! RECIPE VIDEO BELOW!
M&M COOKIES! This is the recipe that helped this site take-off several years ago. It’s a recipe I have made dozens and dozens of times. It’s my moms #1 go-to cookie recipe (hi, mom!). It has become a Pinterest favorite, reader favorite and family favorite for good reason – because these cookies are dang delicious! Have I sold ya yet?
If you like cookies with crisp edges and soft centers these are the cookies are for you! I have perfected this recipe (and in the process consumed an unfathomable number of cookies). I have tips for helping them come out PERFECT! Prefer a THICKER COOKIE? THINNER COOKIE? Extra chocolate? Read on, friends!
How to Make M&M Cookies
- Make the dough by beating butter with granulated sugar and brown sugar. The brown sugar will impart moisture, sweetness and chew. Beat these ingredients for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy!
- Add an egg and plenty of vanilla extract – 2 whole teaspoons.
- Add the dry ingredients: flour, leaveners and salt.
- Now your mix-ins get added. Stir in M&M’s or a combination of M&M’s and chocolate chips.
- Scoop the cookie dough into balls (big or small, see more on that below). Press some additonal M&M’s on those dough balls and bake!
- Pull the baking sheets from the oven when the cookies are set around the edges, but still under baked in the center.
Tips for making M&M Cookies
Follow these tips for making the tastiest M&M Cookies EVER!
- DO NOT OVER-BAKE! We want crisp edges and soft centers, so do not wait until these cookies look done to pull them from the oven. Remove them from the oven just prior to being done and then they will finish cooking as they cool on the baking sheet.
- Mix some of the M&M’s into the batter and press the rest onto the tops of the cookies right before baking. This allows the M&M’s to be more visible, adding a nice pop of color to the cookies. Be generous with the M&M’s that are going on top. As the cookies bake and spread out the candies will distribute throughout the top.
- Make sure your butter is softened but still cool to the touch. Using butter that is too soft will lead to cookies that spread to much in the oven.
- Your brown sugar should be soft and fresh. We’re relying on the moisture in the brown sugar to help make these cookies chewy.
- You can make these with regular M&M’s, holiday M&M’s or a combination of M&M’s and chocolate chips.
Thick M&M Cookies or Thin M&M Cookies
How big you scoop your cookie dough affects whether your cookies come out thinner or thicker. You can see from my variety of photos that this dough can bake up either way. You can also bake a little longer than suggested for crispier cookies. Play around with the recipe to create YOUR favorite version.
- Thick Cookies: Scoop generous portions of dough (2 tablespoons), a little larger than a golf ball. As these bake they will spread, but the center will stay thicker than the edges. Optional: when you remove them from the oven, gently press the edges of the cookie inward a little bit to help thicken them. Note: Want them even thicker/puffier? Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes-1 hour before baking.
- Thin Cookies: Use a small portion of dough (1 to 1.5 tablespoons). As they bake they will spread a bit thinner than the larger dough balls.
- Tip: When pressing M&M’s and chocolate chips into the tops of your dough balls, do NOT press so hard that you flatten the dough balls. When they enter the oven they should still be ball shaped.
Now what are you waiting for? Let’s satisfy those cookie cravings, people! Once you try these, you’ll reach for this recipe again and again. Happy baking!
Soft and Chewy M&M Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, see note
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed, make sure it's fresh and soft
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups M&M's or a mixture of M&M's and chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter and both sugars for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract, mixing until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. On low speed, add in flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Gently stir in M&M's/chocolate chips - I usually add about 3/4 cup into the batter, the rest get pressed on top of the cookies before baking.
- Scoop balls of dough, between 1.5 and 2.5 tablespoon portions (a little smaller or a little larger than a golf ball). Drop dough onto prepared baking sheets leaving an inch or two for spreading. Using the remaining M&M's, press several (5 or so) onto the top of each mound of dough. Keep in mind that the cookies will spread out while baking, so be generous with the M&M's.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes (see note), until the edges of the cookies are set but the center is still slightly underdone , this will create a soft cookie. For a crispier cookie, continue baking for another minute two.
- Place the baking sheets on wire racks and allow the cookies to cool completely. They will firm up as they cool. Optional: for a slightly thicker cookie, you can gently press the edges of each cookie inward (just a bit!) while they are still warm.