Soft and Chewy M&M Cookies – Soft and chewy cookies filled with M&M’s chocolate candies. Make these cookies regular sized or mini!
Let’s talk cookies! This recipe first appeared on this site nearly three years ago. It was one of the first recipes that I shared and it is a family favorite. The recipe is the same that it’s always been but the photos have been updated.
Soft and Chewy M&M Cookies
What makes these cookies so good? They are loaded with M&M’s (inside and on top), and they always come out soft and chewy. This recipe is super easy, and with a few tips (below) you’ll be baking a batch of the tastiest M&M Cookies ever!
Tips for making Chewy M&M Cookies
- Be careful not to over-bake. The edges should be chewy and the middle slightly soft. Do not wait until these cookies look done to pull them from the oven. Remove them from the oven just prior to being done and then they will finish cooking as they cool on the baking sheet.
- Mix some of the M&M’s into the batter and press the rest onto the tops of the cookies right before baking. This allows the M&M’s to be more visible, adding a nice pop of color to the cookies. Be generous with the M&M’s that are going on top. As the cookies bake and spread out the candies will distribute throughout the top.
- You can make these regular sized cookies with regular M & M’s or you can make miniature cookies (perfect for serving to kids!) with mini M & M’s.
- Use seasonal M&M’s for a festive treat!
Our son Jake just started Kindergarten, and I whipped up these cookies for a special first day of school treat.
During Jake’s two years in preschool, I welcomed him home on the first day of school with freshly baked cookies. I plan to continue this tradition throughout his school days as a way to remind him that I am supporting him, cheering him on, and anxiously waiting to hear about his day while sharing a plate of cookies and milk.
Whatever you’re celebrating, or whenever you need to satisfy a cookie craving, I hope you reach for this recipe. Enjoy!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
This post originally appeared in 2013. The photos were updated July 2016, but the recipe remained the same.
Soft and Chewy M&M Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened slightly
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups M&M's or other chocolate candies divided
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, beat butter and both sugars for several minutes, until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract, mixing until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. On low speed, add in flour mixture and mix until just combined.
Stir in M&M's - I usually add about 3/4 cup into the batter, the rest will get pressed on top of the cookies before baking.
Scoop a heaping tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball, or use a 1 1/2 tablespoon scoop, and drop dough onto prepared baking sheets leaving about an inch for spreading. Using the remaining M&M's, press several (5+) onto the top of each mound of dough. Keep in mind that the cookies will spread out while baking, so be generous with the M&M's.
Bake for 8-10 minutes (see note), until the center of the cookies are just barely set. The cookies should look soft and slightly under cooked. They will finish cooking while cooling on the baking sheet.
Remove from oven and let cookies cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
If you are using less than 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough you will need to reduce the baking time accordingly.
To make mini cookies: use mini M & M's, drop the dough into 1 1/2 teaspoon balls and bake for about 6 minutes.
You might also like: