Small Batch Cupcakes – An easy and delicious recipe for 5 vanilla cupcakes topped with vanilla buttercream frosting.
I have my son to thank for these cupcakes. Last week, he asked for a cupcake day after day, until I finally gave in. I didn’t need to make (or eat!) an entire batch of cupcakes, so I decided to try a recipe for a small batch of only 5 cupcakes.
I have to tell you that these are some of the best (and easiest!) vanilla cupcakes I have ever made. I assumed that because this was a scaled down recipe that they would be good, but I never expected them to be great.
I was pleasantly surprised by how soft, moist, and flavorful these cupcakes are. There was even an extra cupcake that didn’t get eaten immediately and it was still good several days later (score!).
Why We Love these Small Batch Vanilla Cupcakes
- This recipe is super simple
- It creates only a few dishes
- The cupcakes taste amazing – they’re loaded with vanilla
- No extra cupcakes sitting around to tempt you
For those times when you need a little sweet pick me up, look no further. This small batch vanilla cupcake recipe will have you diving in to a perfect vanilla cupcake in no time.
Prefer a small batch of chocolate cupcakes? See here!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
*Recipe updated April 2015. After a couple of comments regarding the texture of these cupcakes, I changed the method for mixing the batter, and increased the baking time slightly.
Small Batch Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour see note
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup milk preferably whole or 2% milk
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons milk I used whole milk
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 5 muffin cups or place 5 liners in a muffin pan.
In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk the egg and sugar for about 30 seconds. Add the vanilla extract and melted butter and whisk until well combined.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined. Add the milk, and whisk until just combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients and whisk until combined (being careful not to overmix).
Divide the batter evenly between 5 muffin cups (each cup will be between 2/3 and 3/4 full). Bake for 14-16 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting:
- Beat powdered sugar and butter until smooth. Add vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon of milk. Beat on medium speed for several minutes, until light and fluffy. If the frosting appears too thick, add an additional teaspoon of milk.
- Frost the cupcakes using a butter knife. Top with sprinkles, if desired.
Proper flour measuring: Fluff the flour with your measuring cup to lighten it. Scoop the flour and level off with a knife.
This frosting makes enough to spread a moderate layer on top of each cupcake. If you would like a generous amount of frosting, or if you want to pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes, you can double the frosting.
Cupcakes adapted from How Sweet It Is
OTHER SMALL BATCH RECIPES: