Small Batch Brownies – A simple recipe that makes a small batch of 6 brownies with chewy edges and fudgy centers.
See those 6 brownies in the photo above? That’s the whole recipe! For those of you who have a small family (like me), I came up with a small recipe that makes just a few brownies.
Although I’m usually happy to bake large quantities and share with others, sometimes I just want to make something small – a recipe that doesn’t use several sticks of butter or cups of sugar; one that can be made in one bowl and produces just enough for my family of three to enjoy.
I’ve made this recipe several times and it’s easy, quick, and the results are delicious. A perfect little batch of brownies with chewy edges and fudgy centers. These are made in a loaf pan, so it yields an approximately 9×5 rectangle of brownies. Once cooled, I cut these into 6 medium sized squares, but you can divide them up however you choose. I like to throw a handful of chocolate chips into the batter for extra-fudgy brownies, but you could add nuts instead or leave out the mix-ins completely.
Small Batch Brownies
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- heaping 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- handful of chocolate chips or walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9x5 loaf pan or line the inside with foil, leaving a couple inches overhang. If using foil, spray or butter it.
- Begin by browning the butter. Put the 5 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan, set over medium heat. Cook for several minutes, stirring occasionally, until the butter turns golden brown and smells nutty. This link has great step by step photos for browning butter.
- Once the butter is browned, remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the granulated sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and water. Stir until combined. Set it aside for about 5 minutes, to cool slightly.
- After 5 minutes, add the egg and stir until combined. Then add the the flour and stir vigorously for about 1 minute.
- Stir in chocolate chips or walnuts, if using, and then pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the tops of the brownies appear dry and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out fairly clean (there might be a little chocolate clinging to it, that's fine). Eat warm or allow the brownies to cool slightly before cutting them.
RELATED SMALL BATCH RECIPES: