This small batch of brownies is assembled in one bowl and baked in a loaf pan. This easy recipe produces four fudgy and moist brownies in 30 minutes!
Anyone else need a brownie right about now? This small batch recipe produces a loaf pan of brownies, approximately 4-6 servings. This easy recipe comes together in under 30 minutes, including bake time! The end result: rich and fudgy brownies that will satisfy your chocolate craving immediately.
- Chocolate chips
- Cocoa powder
- All purpose flour
- Start by melting butter and chocolate chips in a medium-sized bowl.
- Whisk sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, egg, and water into the melted chocolate.
- Stir in flour, salt, and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into a lined and greased 9×5 loaf pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Do not overbake. These brownies should be removed from the oven when they are dry on top and as soon as a toothpick inserted into the center comes out without raw batter on it (fudgy/melted chocolate is ok).
- Use a 9×5 loaf pan. A larger loaf pan will produce brownies that are too thin. If your loaf pan is a bit smaller you will likely need to add a few minutes to the bake time.
- Don’t skip the chocolate chips! The chocolate chips help to make these brownies super chocolaty. Use semisweet, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate chips. Note that the sweetness of the brownies will vary based on how sweet your chocolate chips are.
Small Batch Brownies
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips*, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x5 loaf pan with foil or parchment paper leaving a couple inches overhang. Spray the foil or parchment with non stick spray.
- Place the butter and 1/4 cup of chocolate chips in a medium-sized bowl. Microwave in 20 seconds increments, stirring well in between, until melted and smooth (this should happen fairly quickly). Allow the mixture to cool down for a couple minutes.
- Add the sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, water, and egg to the melted chocolate and whisk for 30-45 seconds. Tap all of the excess batter off the whisk and remove it from the bowl.
- Add the flour**, salt, and remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips to the batter. Stir with a rubber spatula until combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tops of the brownies appear dry and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out fairly clean (there might be some melted chocolate clinging to it, that's fine, just no raw batter). Place the pan on a wire rack to cool. We like these best served warm. They will firm up as they cool.