This Homemade Vanilla Pudding recipe is part of a shop that has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are my own. #IDSimplyPure #CollectiveBias
This simple recipe for homemade vanilla pudding gets a double dose of vanilla from vanilla extract and a surprise ingredient – vanilla coffee creamer! Serve this pudding on its own or with fresh berries and whipped cream.
As I’ve mentioned before, my family loves pudding. It is one of my husband’s favorite desserts. Shortly after we got married I learned how to make homemade pudding. If you have only ever had boxed/store bought pudding you are missing out. Once you have vanilla pudding from scratch, you’ll never want the boxed stuff again.
Homemade vanilla pudding is typically made with a milk, cream, sugar, thickener (egg yolks and cornstarch), and a splash of vanilla extract. The mixture is cooked on the stove top until bubbly and thickened, and then it is chilled. It’s really quite simple.
This specific recipe has all the normal ingredients needed for vanilla pudding, except I bump up the flavor and creaminess by adding International Delights Simply Pure Vanilla Coffee Creamer.
Yes, we’re cooking with coffee creamer! Enjoying a cup of coffee is part of my daily routine (read: essential to my survival). I’m so excited to have found other uses for my coffee creamer. I’ll add a splash into custard when making french toast or pour a little into pancake batter before baking. I’m even thinking of adding it to homemade ice cream this summer. Here it is as the secret ingredient in my smooth and creamy homemade vanilla pudding!
International Delights Simply Pure Coffee Creamers include only 5 simple ingredients, including real milk, cream, and sugar.
One of the fabulous things about homemade pudding is its versatility. You can serve it on its own, you can pair it with berries, whipped cream, or sliced bananas, or you can just place a huge bowl of pudding in your fridge and steal a bite (or three) every time you open the fridge door. Not that I’d know anything about that. ahem 😉
Now you’re ready to make homemade pudding! Try out all three delicious flavors of International Delights Simply Pure Coffee Creamer: Vanilla, Caramel, and Hazelnut (I bought mine at Walmart). You’ll love playing around with this delicious coffee creamer. Let me know how you’ll use it!
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups whole milk
- ½ cup International Delights Simply Pure Vanilla Creamer
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a large heatproof bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, milk, creamer, and egg yolks. Cook over medium-high heat, alternating whisking and stirring with a rubber spatula, until the mixture is bubbling and thickened, about 8-10 minutes. It will thicken more as it cools.
- Remove from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla extract. Pour the mixture through the strainer and into the bowl, as this will remove any lumps. Transfer the pudding from the large bowl into individual serving bowls. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap directly onto the pudding to avoid a skin from forming. Refrigerate for several hours, until chilled.