These incredible Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are loaded with bananas, sweetened with brown sugar, and filled with lots of chocolate chips!
Are you ready to sink your teeth into sweet and soft Banana Muffins loaded with melty chocolate chips? Are these muffins basically dessert masquerading as breakfast food? Yep. You’re welcome. 😉
I used my top-rated Banana Bread as the base for this recipe (Have you tried that recipe yet?). So, after a few adjustments we now have Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Ease: One bowl, no mixer, start to finish in just about 30 minutes.
- Flavor: The combination of bananas, chocolate, butter, and vanilla make these muffins incredibly flavorful.
- Texture: Soft and moist (just how banana bread should be).
- Brown sugar: Brown sugar is used in the batter and sprinkled on top of the muffins before baking (just like my Easy Banana Bread and Banana Nut Muffins).
- Topping: A sprinkle of brown sugar and a few extra chocolate chips are the perfect finishing touch on top each muffin. The brown sugar caramelizes and adds a delicious flavor and texture to the top of the muffins (see that topping ↓↓).
- Use over-ripe bananas. The more ripe your bananas are, the sweeter they’ll be. Make sure your bananas are speckled with brown spots, as this ensures they will mash easily and lend lots of natural sweetness and banana flavor the muffins.
- Your brown sugar should be fresh and soft. Since this is a key ingredient (used in both the topping and the batter), make sure it is fresh and moist. Out of brown sugar? Use my Brown Sugar Substitute.
- Use your favorite chocolate chips. Milk chocolate, semisweet chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, or even mini chips can all be used here.
Serving and storage:
Serving: These are best served warm the day they are baked.
Storage: Store leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, reheating before serving. Leftovers can be frozen for up to 2 months. Note: The brown sugar topping will soften over time from the moisture of the bananas.
More Banana Recipes
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed, make sure it is fresh and soft
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups mashed very ripe bananas, about 3-4 bananas
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1-¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips, you can increase to ⅔ cup, if desired
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk melted butter and ⅔ cup brown sugar until well combined, about 1 full minute. Add eggs, mashed banana and vanilla, whisking until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and use a rubber spatula to lightly stir the batter until almost combined. Add chocolate chips (½ OR ⅔ cup) and stir until no streaks of flour remain. Be careful not to overmix.
- Grease 15 standard-sized muffin cups and divide the batter evenly among the cups. Sprinkle the top of the each cup with brown sugar and chocolate chips (topping). Bake for 14-17 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool.