Blueberry Oatmeal Bread – Whole grain oatmeal quick bread filled with fresh blueberries. A wholesome breakfast, snack, or dessert.
Hello, and Happy New Year! I hope your 2017 is off to a fabulous start. I enjoyed taking some time off over the holidays, and I hope you did, too!
Today I’m bringing you a big loaf of warm and slightly sweet Blueberry Oatmeal Bread. There’s no better way to kick off the new year than with a tasty loaf of homemade bread, right? After the New Year’s Eve champagne and fancy appetizers, let’s settle in with a cup of tea and a slice of blueberry bread. Sound like a plan?
I always try to bring you heathy-ish recipes at the start of a new year. I know many of us are trying to make better choices after all those holiday indulgences. I am not one that can give up carbs or sugar completely, so when I’m trying to eat better I often find ways to make baked goods and desserts more wholesome.
This Blueberry Oatmeal Bread is filled with whole grains, fresh blueberries, applesauce, and heart-healthy coconut oil. It is lightly sweetened and brushed with honey to create a beautiful and tasty golden top.
I serve this bread for breakfast (toasted with a tiny smear of butter), I pack it in my son’s lunchbox, and I’ve found that it’s perfect for a mid-afternoon snack with a cup of tea of coffee.
In addition to sharing this recipe today, I also wanted to share some healthier cookbook recommendations. If you’re looking for inspiration to start or maintain a healthy lifestyle, I highly recommend all of the books below.
I know “healthy” means different things to different people. I consider these”healthier cookbooks” because they include real food, wholesome ingredients, and some better-for-us treats. Check them out; I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
Blueberry Oatmeal Bread
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup milk room temperature (I used 1 %)
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil not hot
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons old fashioned oats
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan.In a large bowl, whisk brown sugar, milk, applesauce, oil and eggs. Whisk until completely combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine both flours, 1 cup oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Stir in blueberries.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick instered into the center comes out clean. While the bread is still warm, lightly brush the top of the loaf with honey and sprinkle with 1-2 teaspoons oats.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker