These Strawberry Muffins were created as part of a shop that has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HorizonLunch #CollectiveBias
Moist and tender muffins filled with strawberry yogurt, fresh strawberries and strawberry jam. A wholesome breakfast to start your day!
I’m bringing you another back to school recipe because we are currently living the back to school life. Both kiddos are already into week 3 of the new school year. All is going well with the exception of a few tears from our sweet Juliette (mama heartbreak). It sure is tough to let go. Right, parents?
Back to school means busy mornings. I’m looking to make your mornings a little bit easier by getting the breakfast task checked off your list. Whip up a batch of these wholesome and hearty strawberry muffins and all you have to do is give them a few seconds in the microwave and hand them off to your kids. They make a great after school snack, too!
My food philosophy comes down to one word: balance. I am a firm believer that we should fill our bodies with nutritious, whole foods most of the time (with the occasional treat or splurge, of course!). My family eats a mostly organic diet, and I take the task of feeding them very seriously. We are what we eat, right?
When coming up with this recipe I wanted to create Strawberry Muffins that I could feel good about sharing with my family.
What makes these Strawberry Muffins healthy?
- I used Horizon® Organic Strawberry Yogurt for added flavor and moisture
- I swapped some of the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour to add an extra boost of fiber
- I added lots of fresh strawberries
- I reduced the sugar in the muffin batter to only 1/2 cup
Strawberry yogurt, fresh strawberries and a little surprise pocket of strawberry jam fill these muffins with all the strawberry flavor you could want.
When picking up the Horizon organic yogurt for this recipe, be sure to pick up a few extra yogurt cups for other meals and snacks. Kids can enjoy them straight from the cup, or you can mix them into cereal, fruit, or smoothies. Horizon organic yogurt cups contain live and active cultures, and they come in five irresistible kid-approved flavors; my kids especially like the key lime.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 6 oz Horizon Organic Strawberry Whole Milk Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon coarse turbinado sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 12 count muffin tin and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk melted butter, sugar, eggs, yogurt and lemon zest.
- In a large bowl, combine both flours, salt, and baking powder. Add strawberries and toss gently to combine. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Transfer batter to prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about halfway. Spoon a generous teaspoon of jam into the center and top with more batter. The batter will be thick, so use your fingers to press and spread the batter around the muffin cup. Each cup should be filled just under the top (about 3/4 full). Sprinkle the tops with a little turbinado sugar (optional, for texture). Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place on a rack to cool slightly. These are best served warm.
I purchased Horizon Yogurt at Walmart.