Naturally gluten free cookies loaded with a double dose of almond and coconut. These soft and chewy cookies taste similar to a coconut macaroon and an Almond Joy candy bar. Drizzle with melted chocolate or eat them plain; they’re fabulous either way!
I wish I had you all in my kitchen right now. We could nibble coconut almond cookies, sip coffee, and chat about the important things in life – like these cookies. These are my new obsession; I’ve made this recipe twice in the last 24 hours. I’ve shared these cookies with family and friends, and they have been a huge hit. I know that once you try these you will LOVE them too. So get over here and help me eat ’em. Open invitation until the cookies run out!
What’s so great about these cookies? They’re super soft and chewy with a taste similar to a coconut macaroon and an Almond Joy candy bar. Almond flour and almond extract impart almond flavor, and unsweetened shredded coconut and coconut oil give a subtle coconut flavor. These cookies contain no refined flour, and they happen to be gluten free! I’ve had my fair share of mediocre gluten free cookies and these are nothing like those. I seriously can’t get enough of these.
Now lets quickly talk chocolate. To drizzle or not to drizzle? I love the combination of coconut, almond, and chocolate, so I drizzled half the batch with melted dark chocolate. But, if you’re not a chocolate fan, or you prefer the pure coconut/almond flavor, just skip the chocolate. These are fantastic either way. I promise.
If you follow me on Instagram you might have seen that I recently received almond flour and organic shredded coconut from Anthony’s Goods. They were kind enough to send me some of their lovely products to play around with. I’ve had a blast eating my way through four pounds of almond flour and two pounds of coconut (man, this job is tough). 😉
Anthony’s Goods is a bulk gluten-free, natural/organic foods provider. Their products are sold in larger amounts to keep them affordable (plus, free shipping!). You’ve got to give them a try! They have many fabulous products for you to check out.
And now I’m off to enjoy just one more cookie. See ya soon, friends!
Chewy Coconut Almond Cookies (Gluten Free)
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup plus1 tablespoon coconut oil melted (not hot)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional for drizzling)
- In a large bowl whisk almond flour, coconut, baking powder, salt, and brown sugar until no lumps remain.
- In a separate bowl, vigorously whisk eggs for 1 full minute. Add coconut oil, vanilla extract, and almond extract and stir to combine. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Stir until thoroughly combined; use your hands if necessary. Tightly cover and place in the back of your fridge (where it's really cold) for 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone liners. Roll or scoop the dough into 2 tablespoon portions (about golf ball size) and place them a couple inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Press down on each ball of dough to flatten (they will spread very little when baking). Bake for about 9 minutes, until the edges are just beginning to turn golden brown. Place the baking sheets on wire racks to cool completely.
Optional chocolate drizzle:
- Melt chocolate chips in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Drizzle the top of the cookies with melted chocolate (I put the melted chocolate in a plastic bag and snipped the corner for easy drizzling). Allow the chocolate to firm up at room temperature or speed it along by placing the cookies in the fridge.
Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker