Until I made this recipe, I had never had coconut pancakes before. How could this be?! The idea had never even crossed my mind until recently. Once I got over the fact that I’ve been living in the dark, I got to it and whipped these up. They come together in a matter of minutes and they are light, fluffy, and just barely sweet. The coconut flavor comes from unsweetened shredded coconut, as well as coconut milk.This gives the pancakes a subtle coconut flavor that’s not too overpowering. We enjoyed these topped with fresh berries and a drizzle of agave. Feel free to use any other fruit of your choice.
When I make pancakes, I typically try to substitute whole wheat flour for some of the all purpose flour. For this recipe, I used white whole wheat flour, but whole wheat pastry flour would be good too. I would advise against using too much whole wheat flour, as it can make the pancakes heavy. The proportions I have listed in the recipe worked perfectly. The recipe makes enough for 2-3 people, but it can be doubled if you’re feeding more. I made a few extra and stuck them in the fridge for a quick weekday breakfast.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
- 1 cup flour I used 2/3 cup white whole wheat and 1/3 cup all purpose
- 1 tablespoon granulated or raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk not cream of coconut
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- Optional garnishes: fresh fruit, shredded coconut, maple syrup or agave
- In a large bowl, mix the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and shredded coconut.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the coconut milk, oil, and egg. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Using a 1/4 measuring cup, pour the batter onto a greased skillet or griddle set at medium-low heat. Cook on one side until bubbles form evenly, then flip and cook on the other side until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with garnishes suggested above.
Recipe adapted from Cookie & Kate