Easy One-Bowl Mixed Berry Cake – A tender vanilla cake flavored with a touch of almond extract and filled with fresh berries. This easy cake is made in one bowl in under an hour. This will be your go-to summer dessert.
Friends!!! It’s almost Memorial Day weekend!!! Are you looking forward to it?! I can’t wait!! Also, how many explanation points can I use in the first paragraph of this post?! So far I’m at 10. Should I stop? Heehee. Sorry for my over excitement.
We have a low key weekend planned – a trip to the farmers market, taking Jake on a few bike rides (he’s learning to ride without training wheels!), recipe testing new ice cream and cocktail recipes, and firing up the grill (← cliché, I know).
I had to get this recipe to you because this is the perfect dessert for your holiday weekend. It is super easy; quite possibly the easiest cake I’ve ever made. This dessert also happens to be red, white, and blue (again with the clichés). Seriously though, this cake needs to be on your table this weekend.
It is a simple single layer 8×8 square cake flavored with vanilla and almond extract and filled with fresh berries. The batter is made in one bowl (no need to separate wet and dry ingredients) in under 10 minutes! I used a mixture of raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries, but feel free to use whatever mixture of berries you have on hand. I would suggest using at least two different varieties for a contrast of flavor.
You can easily pack this up and bring it along to a potluck, BBQ, or picnic, or you can just keep it on your kitchen counter and nibble it throughout the day.
Fair warning: this cake goes down so easily. Too easily. One piece leads to another, and if you even think about approaching the pan with a fork in hand, just be prepared to finish it. You’ll have trouble walking away. Trust me.
There’s enough fruit in this that it could technically be eaten for breakfast, but with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream, it really is a perfect dessert. Enjoy!
Have a fun weekend and eat something delicious! See you back here next week.
Easy One-Bowl Mixed Berry Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter slightly softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups fresh berries larger berries halved or quartered
- 1 tablespoon coarse sparkling sugar or turbinado sugar
- Whipped cream or ice cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8" inch square pan.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the butter, sugar, baking powder, and salt for 1-2 minutes, until smooth.
- Add the eggs and extracts, beating until thoroughly combined and scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the flour and mix until combined. The batter should be smooth and stiff.
- Spread the batter in the pan and place the berries on top. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake the cake for about 35 to 40 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.